Sir Wyn Williams
|President of Welsh Tribunals|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||New position|
|High Court judge|
|Born||31 March 1951|
|Alma mater||Corpus Christi College, Oxford|
Early life and education
Wyn Lewis Williams was born in Ferndale in the Rhondda to Ronald and Nellie Williams. Educated at Rhondda Grammar County school he matriculated at Corpus Christi College, Oxford, before entering the Inns of Court School of Law in London.
Williams was called to the bar (Inner Temple) in 1974 and made a bencher in 2007. He practised in Cardiff from 1974 to 1988 and in London from 1988 to 2004. He became a Queen's Counsel in 1992, and served as a recorder until his appointment as a specialist Chancery judge for Wales in 2004. On 11 January 2007, Williams was appointed a High Court judge, receiving the customary knighthood, and assigned to the Queen’s Bench Division. He served as a presiding judge for the Wales Circuit and as Deputy Chairman of the Boundary Commission for Wales.
He was appointed president of Welsh tribunals in December 2017.
He is active in several organisations, being president of Pendyrus Male Choir, and is closely associated with Tylorstown RFC, the rugby union club for which he played as a youth. His connection with rugby was furthered in 2012 when he was appointed as an unpaid independent chairman of the Professional Regional Game Board, an organisation set up by the Welsh Rugby Union to restructure the sport in Wales.
- "High Court: Retirement of The Honourable Sir Wyn Lewis Williams". www.Judiciary.gov.uk. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- Humphries, Bram (28 February 2008). "President sets bench mark". Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- "No. 58222". The London Gazette. 17 January 2007. p. 601.
- "Appointment – Mr Justice Wyn Williams" (Press release). 13 September 2012. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- "Welsh tribunals get their own senior judge". LawGazette.co.uk. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Judge to chair new rugby board to run Welsh rugby". BBC Sport. 5 December 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Williams, Hon. Sir Wyn (Lewis), (born 31 March 1951), a Judge of the High Court of Justice, Queen's Bench Division, 2007–17; President, Welsh Tribunals, since 2017; a Judge of the Courts of Appeal of Guernsey and Jersey, since 2018". Who's Who 2021. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 2 April 2021.
|New title|| President of Welsh Tribunals