|Wisconsin's 3rd congressional district|
|Area||13,565.50 sq mi (35,134.5 km2)|
Wisconsin's 3rd congressional district covers most of the Driftless Area in southwestern and western Wisconsin. The district includes the cities of La Crosse, Eau Claire and Stevens Point, as well as most of the Wisconsin side of the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area. It borders the states of Minnesota, Iowa, and Illinois. Democrat Ron Kind has represented the district since 1997.
The political nature of the district is moderate, given its combination of an overall rural and suburban character counterbalanced by two significant urban centers (Eau Claire and La Crosse) and the Twin Cities suburbs. It historically elected moderate Republicans; before Kind's 1996 victory, only two Democrats represented it in the 20th century. Al Gore, John Kerry, and Barack Obama all carried the district at the presidential level; it then narrowly voted for Donald Trump in 2016 and again in 2020 with slightly increased margins. It is one of seven districts that voted for Trump in 2020 while being held by a Democrat. The Cook Partisan Voting Index adjusted the district's partisan lean in 2021 from "even" to a pro-Republican lean of 4 points.
List of members representing the district
Recent election results
|Democratic||Ron Kind (incumbent)||217,328||64.1%|
|Democratic||Ron Kind (incumbent)||155,368||56.5%||-7.6|
|Independent||Ken Van Doren||128||0%||N/A|
|Democratic||Ron Kind (incumbent) (unopposed)||257,401||99.9%||+43.4|
|Democratic||Ron Kind (incumbent)||187,888||59.7%||-40.2|
|Democratic||Ron Kind (incumbent)||199,870||51.3%||-8.4|
|Republican||Derrick Van Orden||189,524||48.6%||+8.3|
Election results from presidential races
|2000||President||Al Gore 49% - George W. Bush 46%|
|2004||President||John Kerry 51% - George W. Bush 48%|
|2008||President||Barack Obama 58% - John McCain 41%|
|2012||President||Barack Obama 54.8% - Mitt Romney 43.8%|
|2016||President||Donald Trump 49.3% - Hillary Clinton 44.8%|
|2020||President||Donald Trump 51.5% - Joe Biden 46.8%|
Historical district boundaries
- "My Congressional District: Wisconsin Congressional District 3". United States Census Bureau. 2019. Retrieved April 17, 2021.
- "Congressional District 3, WI". Census Reporter. 2019. Retrieved April 17, 2021.
- "Introducing the 2021 Cook Political Report Partisan Voter Index". The Cook Political Report. April 15, 2021. Retrieved April 17, 2021.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1982). The Historical Atlas of United States Congressional Districts. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present