Nominations for MoTM
I am nominating CycloneFootball71 for Member of the Month. He has edited extensively in tropical cyclones (more than I have) recently, helping to resolve disputes, created several articles, and added well-sourced content to many more. 🐔 Chicdat Bawk to me! 10:33, 19 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support – Superb candidate. He has done a good deal of work on WPTC, in addition to welcoming new users. He's also a very kind person, and I've seen him show his support for others numerous times throughout the past year. LightandDark2000 🌀 (talk) 18:07, 19 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support - CycloneFootball71 is one of the kindest and most resilient editors here. He's helped me quite a bit during my time in WPTC, and given me support during some of the bad times. He's unfailingly civil, and great in both content creation and more behind-the-scenes areas of Wikipedia. CodingCyclone  21:50, 20 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support - CycloneFootball71 has done a lot of editing in the scope of the WPTC, and is really kind. ~ 🌀🌀 16:20, 22 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support - Definitely one of kindest WPTC members in the history of WPTC AFAIK. While the contributions outside discussions aren't really that plentiful, CycloneFootball71 really uplifted us during the hard times of 2020. MarioJump83! 01:46, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
- Thank you all for the support. I would like to note that my contributions have been lacking recently due to a busier schedule, I previously made many more that were plentiful, and I plan to make more soon. However, thank you all so much though, it really means a lot getting nominated for this award. I never thought that I would get this, but here we are. Thank you guys so much, I will do my best to keep working hard here on WP. Stay safe everyone 🌀CycloneFootball71🏈 |sandbox 02:36, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
Alongside CycloneFootball71 is CodingCyclone. Her enthusiasm for this project is one of the greatest I have seen so far and recently, she is going to give us the first featured list in years! MarioJump83! 01:46, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support This is confusing. I support both! (Actually, I'd support everyone in WPTC except Iphonehurricane, Sidow..., and Fly High In The Sky.) 🐔 Chicdat Bawk to me! 11:46, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support I believe she is a great candidate! (Even though she did sock.) ~ 🌀🌀 12:26, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
- support She is a very kind user, and works hard on articles, especially the neglected timelines, amd despite socking, has come back and made things right. 🌀CycloneFootball71🏈 |sandbox 14:20, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support – Very kind and helpful candidate. I don't know much about that socking episode, but it sounds like she's since reformed. She has been hard at work recently, and she definitely deserves the recognition. LightandDark2000 🌀 (talk) 16:58, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
- Comment - Thank you, everyone for the overwhelming support. It means a lot to me, especially with my past mistakes. While I do consider to be a more experienced, diligent, and nicer contributor to the project, I'm very touched by how the community thinks of me. I am very grateful to be part of such a supportive and respectful community, and I do plan to do a lot more in the future. :'). All the best, CodingCyclone! 🌀 📘 22:03, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
- Four, if you count the editor's pick. I think that's a new record... CodingCyclone! 🌀 📘 17:50, 2 April 2021 (UTC)
"Other tropical activity of the month"
I strongly believe that this part should be dropped as CycloneFootball71 had a trouble staying in for Wikipedia (see: mental health issues, life problems, and actual real health issues). I won't give my time to develop this section, and we frequently check on the tropical activity all day off-wiki and on-wiki. I think SoTM section should stay however, as it highlights the most impactful storm of the month. MarioJump83! 06:40, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
- I don't think we should. This is an important section that provides a brief overview of tropical activity for each newsletter. If a newsletter isn't ready, then we'll push back the publication date. I think we'll be able to get this one pushed out on time, though. But expect these sections to remain bare for another week, since I don't have time to fill those out right now. LightandDark2000 🌀 (talk) 07:50, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
What do you all think about this?
Destroyeraa joined Wikipedia in January 2020. He gained experience like all of us, and received several user rights in the process. He improved several articles to GA, the first being Hurricane Dolores (2015). He made WikiProject Tropical cyclones a good place to be. He made some mistakes, of course, but learned from them quickly. But by 2021, real life seemed to be catching up to Destroyeraa. He went into periods of semi-wikibreaks. His editing became more sporadic. He has not edited since March 3, 2021. Since then, WikiProject Tropical cyclones has been in turmoil. Users have been very hostile. There have been copyright problems. Drama is being created. With the exception of a few remarks by LightandDark2000, the project has not heard from him for a long time. I wish that he would come back, and I miss him. When Destroyeraa went, so did the short revival of WikiProject Tropical cyclones. I came as it was beginning, so I knew no other state of the project.
To Destroyeraa himself: Please come back. You made the tropical cyclone wikiproject a good place to be. I miss you so much; you were like a real life friend.
From me, a user who joined the encyclopedia a month after Destroyeraa, though he did mistake me for an administrator once (aka 🐔 Chicdat Bawk to me!)
- I Think it sounds good, and is well written, thank you for writing it under such short notice.🌀CycloneFootball71🏈 |sandbox 13:01, 27 April 2021 (UTC)
- @Chicdat: Thanks so much for writing this so quickly. I think it's beautiful. Would you be open to other users making remarks and their own testimonies about Destroyeraa on separate lines? As it is, the OP is a bit short and may not be enough to balance out the newsletter. CodingCyclone! 🌀 📘 16:03, 28 April 2021 (UTC)
Some more comments
Well, coincidentally, 1944 Atlantic hurricane season and Cyclone Owen, which are the articles Chicdat targeted to make it GA, finally shined in this edition of Hurricane Herald. Fun fact, you know? MarioJump83! 11:20, 30 April 2021 (UTC)
- Yeah that is a good fact, and I am happy to hear that. 🌀CycloneFootball71🏈 |sandbox 12:53, 30 April 2021 (UTC)
Please add a note to the part about the copyvios to contact someone experienced in copyright investigations either onwiki or offwiki before jumping in and to also ask for permission on my talk page as this is taking place in my userspace and not projectspace. There are so many ways to do this wrong and this project is massive, confusing, and honestly burning me out. I don't want to have to fix AGF but bad judgment calls. Sennecaster (What now?) 05:28, 1 May 2021 (UTC)
- @Sennecaster: Thanks for raising this issue! I added to the blurb, is what I wrote appropriate or does it need more fixing? CodingCyclone! 🌀 📘 02:06, 2 May 2021 (UTC)
- I don't know where to put this, but how can I help? I really want to. I saw that many WPAC articles here in WPTC are full of copyright violations. LowercaseGuy chow! 02:31, 2 May 2021 (UTC)