|This is a WikiProject, an area for focused collaboration among Wikipedians. New participants are welcome; please feel free to participate!|
The aim of this WikiProject is to help the organisation of articles on English Wikipedia for the purpose of making offline compilations for schools, colleges and general community in India. It is a community project of English language Wikimedians who edit WikiProject India-related articles or belong to India. It has the backing and support of the India chapter and the India Programs office of WMF.
This WikiProject is an offshoot of WikiProject India.
1. Offline Wikipedia for Indian Schools - Full version - (OWIS-FULL) (ONGOING) — This compilation of 7000 to 9000 articles is aimed at providing an amended version of the SOS Children's Village Offline Wikipedia (6474 articles). It will fit in a single DVD.
2. Offline Wikipedia for Indian Schools - 500 version - (OWIS-500). (To be taken up at a later stage. This is mainly for supporting Indic language wiki projects).
At this point of time, only one Project is on in Phase 1 - OWIS-FULL. We have established the framework, and we are looking to begin with selection of topics for four subjects - Arts, IT, Maths & Science. Please add your name to a subject team at this link. As there is loads of work connected with each subject, we recommend that you choose the subject which interests you more.
Note:The other subjects will be dealt with once topics for these four have been selected.
- William Steve Roy
- A. Mani
- Arnav Chaudhary
- Gurmeet Singh
- Kannan shanmugam
- Karthik Nadar
- Manoj Vivek
- Netha Hussain
- Nikhil Sheth
- Nikita Belavate
- Nitika Tandon
- Piyush Madan
- Ramesh Ramaiah
- Ram Shankar Yadav
- Srikant Kedia (Odisha1)
- Abhijeet Safai
Common guidelines for projects
For each compilation, the following tasks need to be carried out:
- Article Selection
- Review and content verification
- Image collection, processing, and licensing
- Work on the non-article content of CD/DVD
- CD/DVD cover and other art work
- Technology team
- CD/DVD production
- CD/DVD/USB Distribution
- Media and PR
- There will be four methods for navigation:
- CONTENTS - In front, a formal structure of level 1 (section) & level 2 (subsection) headings will be available for choice. (Level 3 headings only when articles exceed one thousand in number).
- SEARCH - standard facilities.
- INDEX - alphabetical index (as at the end of a book).
- CATEGORISATION - Categorisation will form an alternative to structure for navigation. For example, all articles on people will have category "People".
- Nesting of articles is permitted both under level 1 and under level 2 headings. See this for an example.
- Articles about People will form part of the relevant section they belong to, i.e, Scientists will form part of "Science and Mathematics" section.
- The SOS Children's Village Project, an NGO from Great Britain, and the Wikimedia Foundation have put together an offline Wikipedia referred to as "Wikipedia for Schools". See the online version here.
- The One Laptop Per Child project OLPC has Wikislices for its XO tablet PC.
- User:Nikhilsheth has been working on spreading the SOS Children's Village English Wikipedia for Schools in a portable ZIM file format packaged with Kiwix for distribution. You can read more about his project here, and download it from here (advised to use bit torrent link).
- Creating the Malayalam Wikipedia CD (Shiju Alex) -