Personal acquaintances (German: Persönliche Bekanntschaften) is a community project that was started in 2008 in the German-language Wikipedia, to enable the confirmation of the community of active Wikipedians in "real life" (from meetups, associations, etc). Users of any Wikimedia project (including the English-language Wikipedia) can sign up to this project with their user name, and other users can confirm that they have met them face-to-face. Every user can sign up and receive confirmation to their main account which is known to other users. This system uses the primary account for a user (i.e. not alternative accounts). The project aims to improve the working environment and reduce, or eliminate, doubts about the identity of other users.
This system of mutual confirmations is currently only working in de.wikipedia, but is accessible to all other users via the single user login system. Its main pages have been translated into many languages, including English. It is easy to use, without the need to have an external review of the identity, and takes data protection and anonymity on the Internet into account. For disadvantages, see the FAQ. A more demanding alternative to this system is the bail procedure.
Users can create multiple accounts. Many users do, for different reasons and within policy. Secondary accounts are sometimes used with other intentions, which have nothing to do with encyclopedic work.
On this page, a user account is valid if it is a primary account under the following condition: at least three confirmed people confirm that they have had a face-to-face meeting with a real person with that specific username. They show their confirmations on the page listed below. Only confirmed primary accounts may confirm other users. Unconfirmed users are marked in the list shown below with unbestätigt ("unconfirmed"). Participation is optional. Once a confirmation is made, it's done definitively.
Anonymity and data protection
Unlike identification, this method has the advantage of not encroaching on anonymity on the Internet. All participants can make their own decision whether to show or hide their names or personal data, as confirmations are only presented on this page using their Wikipedia user name. There is no change from their existing wiki status, regardless of the dates, places, times, or the number of meetings that were held. Data protection of data and the principles of Wikipedia are fully respected and complied with.
If the system is considered too fragile, or users want more security, they may optionally be confirmed by an independent proof of the user's identity. The proof can be referenced for the main account.
How it affects users
- Well-known users can give and receive multiple confirmations.
- Lesser known users may be accepted by the community as genuine members if they attend a meeting and are confirmed. Thus, each member of the community can recognize lesser-known guests as a person who participates in the active community.
- Secondary accounts can't be confirmed here, because nobody knows them personally.
- To receive bot messages about every confirmation you receive, put your de:user:name link on this list.
- It's recommended that all participants add the page Wikipedia:Persönliche Bekanntschaften/Neu dazugekommen to their watchlist to have an actual overview of new participants (the period is automatically limited to the last two months).
- If a participant withdraws their membership, their main account will be anonymised in the database. Confirmations of retired users are retained for consistency, and the entries in the logs remain entirely unchanged. This anonymity is composed of a name change in Ex-Teilnehmer ("Ex-participants") and can be undone on request.
- In case of fraud of any type, the relevant account and all confirmations received from it will be highlighted as gelöscht ("deleted") from the database.
List of participants
Currently more than 1,600 users are registered, and efforts are underway to address a more global audience:
- toollabs:pb/beta/users/ (full list)
- toollabs:pb/beta/recent/ (recent confirmations)
- de:Wikipedia:Personal Acquaintances#List of all participants (full list, indexed)
- de:Wikipedia:Personal Acquaintances#Newly added participants (recent confirmations, English in de.wiki)
Participants mostly active on the English Wikipedia
This list should contain most users who are continuously active on the English-language Wikipedia and have signed up in the system of Personal acquaintances (German: Persönliche Bekanntschaften). Signing up and adding yourself here only makes sense if you have met at least three other Wikimedians in real life. Put this page on your watchlist if you want to be informed about new participants. See also the full list of particpants.
- Afernand74 (t) ( )
- AndrewTheLott (t) ( – not confirmed)
- APerson (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Axpde (t) ( )
- Battleofalma (t) ( )
- BD2412 (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Benzband (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Bluerasberry (t) ( )
- Bri (t) ( )
- DerHexer (t) ( )
- Doc James (t) ( )
- Dschwen (t) ( )
- Dthomsen8 (t) ( )
- Edwardx (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Ijon (t) ( )
- Imzadi1979 (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Jane023 (t) ( )
- Jerodlycett (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Jmabel (t) ( )
- Kirill Lokshin (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Kyohyi (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Matthias Süßen (t) ( )
- Peaceray (t) ( )
- Pigsonthewing (t) ( )
- -revi (t) ( )
- Rsrikanth05 (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Slashme (t) ( )
- Tobias1984 (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Wittylama (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Worm That Turned (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Yaris678 (t) ( – not confirmed)
- Zellfaze (t) ( – not confirmed)
|Babel user information|
|Users by language|
The user box contains a link to the confirmations tool. If you want to add the box, add the following to your user page:
Or it can be included in your Babel box like this:
- WMF labs tool page:
- de:Wikipedia:Personal Acquaintances – English language page in de:wikipedia with full functionality
- User:Romaine/Persönliche Bekanntschaften – short intro
- User:Romaine/Persönliche Bekanntschaften/msg – confirmation message
- User:Romaine/Persönliche Bekanntschaften/P
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wikipedia:Personal acquaintances.|
- Wikipedia:Trust network
- Template:User committed identity
- de:User:YourEyesOnly/Bürgschaft ("bail" or "surety" procedure)
- Images and screenshots of the project pages and tools
|This WikiProject is believed to be inactive. |
Consider looking for related projects for help or ask at the Teahouse.
If you are not currently a project participant and wish to help you may still participate in the project. This status should be changed if any activity resumes.