This is an essay.
It contains the advice or opinions of one or more Wikipedia contributors. This page is not an encyclopedia article, nor is it one of Wikipedia's policies or guidelines, as it has not been thoroughly vetted by the community. Some essays represent widespread norms; others only represent minority viewpoints.
Integrate these three factors by organised:
Let's integrate, let's make it easier to find and maintain data: build it and they will come!
- Search various categories for stub articles. Stub articles belonging to a specific category with minimal content should be merged into a meta-article covering that subject matter.
- Rather than delete old pages, redirects should be employed to reduce the chance of users making an article for the same subject. Furthermore, if the stub does have a chance to move beyond stub status, the article can be re-developed on its own merits as a category member.
- Duplicate references should be identified by human or bot as a method of detecting merge-candidates, or overlooked category members. Furthermore, duplicate references that are required should be converted to a template that would appear uniformly on all category member pages.
- Parent categories of significant volume should be reasonably sub categorised. Template:CatDiffuse explains this process.
- Templates should be used to eliminate redundant content within category articles.
- Templates should also be used to link together disparate articles that relate to each other, but may not always be in the same category. See Wikipedia:WikiProject_Succession_Box_Standardization/Templates for suitable templates.
- Integration is white matter: it links together elements for processing.
- Integration is government in the sunshine: it keeps things in the open and not obscure.
- Integration may require ion thrusters: they're slow, but effective and efficient.
Practical ways to help
- Wikipedia:Proposed mergers — help form consensus about proposed mergers
- Wikipedia:Articles for deletion — if you !vote for an article to be merged at AfD, then please let the closing editor know whether you'd be willing to merge the articles yourself. Just "* Volunteer" to help!
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Proposed Deletion Patrolling — help editors preserve any valuable material in the Category:All articles proposed for deletion
Example articles that were created from meta-merging
- ITU V-Series is an article created from the merging of 20+ related stubs.
- Created from several articles in Category:Fictional aircraft: Fictional military aircraft
- Created from Microsoft Windows stubs: Windows Text-to-Speech; Easter eggs in Microsoft products; Windows library files; Windows Vista Startup Process; Windows audio components; Common menus in Microsoft Windows
- Created from orphan, stub, and full articles in Category:Revelation Space: Characters in Revelation Space; Factions in Revelation Space; Locations in Revelation Space; Races in Revelation Space; Technology in Revelation Space
- Association of Mergist Wikipedians
- Wikipedia:Cleanup process
- Wikipedia:Preparing images for upload
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Stub sorting
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Red Link Recovery
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Categories
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Orphanage
- Wikipedia:Dead-end pages
- Category:Uncategorized pages
- Category:Navigational templates
- Wikipedia:Build the web
- Wikipedia:Content forking
- Template:Move portions and Template:Move portions from