|Industry||Software Composition Analysis|
Number of employees
The company was founded in 2011 after its three co-founders sold their previous company, Eurekify, to CA Technologies. During the due diligence process, Rami Sass, Ron Rymon, and Azi Cohen experienced first hand the challenge in dealing with open source code when trying to sell a company. As a condition of the sale, they needed to generate an accurate open source inventory report. Manually producing such a report was difficult and time-consuming. Even though no critical legal or security vulnerabilities were uncovered, the three founders knew there must be a better way to produce an accurate inventory of open source components in their proprietary codebase. Thus, the Software Composition Analysis software category was born.
The company launched its open source license management platform. The software discovers open source components in the customers’ apps. It then alerts them when a vulnerable code is added to the software projects that are being used or when threats pop up that affect the existing software.
In 2018, WhiteSource announced a series-C funding of $35 million led by Susquehanna Growth Equity, M12, and 83North. This follows earlier funding rounds backed by 83North, M12, Oracle Investment Management, Peregrine Ventures, Microsoft Ventures, David Strohm, and the Israeli Innovation Authority. The company has raised $46 million as of 2018.
On April 7, 2021, WhiteSource announced it raised $75 million in a series D round of funding led by Pitango Growth, with participation by existing investors M12, Susquehanna Growth Equity, and 83North. This additional round brings WhiteSource’s total funding to $121.2 million.
WhiteSource Bolt was launched in 2016.
WhiteSource announced WhiteSource Teams for SMBs and WhiteSource Enterprise in January 2021.
- Harris, Richard. "WhiteSource Bolt detects vulnerable open source components". App Developer Magazine. Retrieved 2018-02-20.
- "Open source software co WhiteSource raises $10m - Globes English". Globes (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2018-02-20.
- "Whitesource מגייסת מיליון דולר; תנהל את ספריות הקוד הפתוח שלכם [��יוס] | גיקטיים". www.geektime.co.il (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2018-02-20.
- "WhiteSource offers open-source license management as a service". SD Times. 2012-05-14. Retrieved 2018-02-20.
- Messmer, Ellen. "Security of open-source software again being scrutinized". Network World. Retrieved 2018-02-20.
- Greene, Tim. "Open source code is common, potentially dangerous, in enterprise apps". Network World. Retrieved 2018-02-20.
- "5 Advantages of Using Open Source Software". TechCo. 2015-12-15. Retrieved 2018-02-20.
- "WhiteSource nabs $35M to track open source code for security vulnerabilities". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-10-17.
- "WhiteSource raises $75M to move beyond open source security and compliance management". VentureBeat. 2021-04-07. Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- Metinko, Chris (2021-04-07). "WhiteSource Secures $75M To Protect App Development". Crunchbase News. Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- "R Consortium announced IBM is a Platinum member, smartphone sales slowing down, and WhiteSource's new developer tool". SD Times. 2016-06-07. Retrieved 2018-02-20.
- "SD Times news digest: Android 12 Developer Preview 3, ComponentOne 2021 v1, and WhiteSource acquires Diffend". SD Times. 2021-04-22. Retrieved 2021-05-03.