|• Mayor||Guy Van Hirtum (CD&V)|
|• Governing party/ies||CD&V|
|• Total||55.13 km2 (21.29 sq mi)|
|• Density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Area codes||014 - 015 - 016|
- Westerlo centrum (population 3,831)
- Oevel (population 3,454)
- Tongerlo (population 4,679)
- Heultje (population 3,973)
- Voortkapel (population 2,408)
- Oosterwijk (population 2,350)
- Zoerle-Parwijs (population 2,202)
On January 1, 2006 Westerlo had a total population of 22,896. The total area is 55.13 km² which gives a population density of 415 inhabitants per km².
Places of interest
- Castle of Westerlo has been in the possession of the House of Merode uninterruptedly since the late 15th century. It has served as the most important country estate of the senior branch since the 16th century. In 1910-12 Countess Jeanne de Merode built a new neogothic castle for herself which serves as the town hall of Westerlo since the 1970s.
- Tongerlo Abbey contains a very old and fine copy of Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper. It is also known as home of the Tongerlo Abbey beer, but this is no longer brewed at the abbey.
- "Wettelijke Bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2018". Statbel. Retrieved 9 March 2019.