The WIPO Academy is the training arm of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), it was established in 1998. It offers intellectual property (IP) education, training and IP skills-building to government officials, inventors, creators, business professionals, small and medium enterprises (SMEs), academics, students and individuals interested in IP. The Academy hosts IP courses through its four programs: the Professional Development Program, University Partnerships, Distance Learning and WIPO Summer Schools.
Professional Development and Distance Learning
The Professional Development Program offers specialized IP training for government officials. The Distance Learning Program provides global access to online and blended IP courses at general and advanced levels in the six official languages of the United Nations (English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian and Chinese) as well as Portuguese. The courses cover the main areas of IP theory (copyright, patents, and trademarks), IP management and policy, and practical IP skills. The general course on intellectual property (DL-101) is available in an accessible format for the visually impaired. Some of the DL courses, including the DL-101 are run in more than ten languages as a result of course customization and translation by particular countries.
University Partnerships and WIPO Summer Schools
The WIPO Academy also collaborates with universities to provide access to higher education on IP, especially for developing countries, least developed countries and 'countries in transition'. Its main focus in this area is a series of joint master's degree programs offered in English, French and Spanish. The joint master's degree programs are accredited by and offered in partnership with partner universities including Africa University, Ankara University, Jagiellonian University, KDI School, Tongji University, University of San Andrés, University of Turin and University of Yaoundé II. The Academy organizes a series of two-week long IP summer school programs on an annual basis around the world for young professionals. Under the University Partnerships Program, the Academy co-organizes a number of colloquia (informal meetings) and conferences for IP academics, researchers and teachers including the WIPO-WTO (World Trade Organization) colloquiums for IP teachers.
The WIPO Academy has two ongoing projects: IP4Youth&Teachers and the National IP Training Institutions (IPTIs). IP4Youth&Teachers is a service that supports national curricula setters, education policy makers and educators to integrate IP, creativity and innovation education in primary and secondary schools. With the WIPO Academy's projects and support, countries have also established their own IP training capacity through the IPTIs.
- "Celebrating Twenty Years of the WIPO Academy". www.wipo.int. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "WIPO Academy". www.wipo.int. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "Professional Development Program". www.wipo.int. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "Online Courses on Intellectual Property". www.wipo.int. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "Sharpen your skills during lockdown with UN e-learning courses". United Nations Western Europe. 2020-04-14. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- Media, Newton. "WIPO unveils course on genetic resources in the life sciences". Life Sciences IP Review. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "WeLC - Accessible IP training". welc.wipo.int. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "IPCG -". www.sakpatenti.gov.ge. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "WIPO Academy – University Partnerships". www.wipo.int. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "Africa University". africau.edu. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "Ankara University | Bologna Information System". bbs.ankara.edu.tr. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "Intellectual Property and New Technologies - Welcome to the Jagiellonian University". welcome.uj.edu.pl. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "KDI School Master's Program".
- "上海国际知识产权学院中文网". sicip.tongji.edu.cn. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "Education on intellectual property law and judicial practice strengthened". SHINE. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "Instituciones asociadas". Universidad de San Andrés (in Spanish). Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "Master of Laws in Intellectual Property | ITCILO". www.itcilo.org. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "Communiqué Master 2018-2019 OMPI". Université de Yaoundé II - SOA (in French). 2018-07-24. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "South Africa's Push For Knowledge-Based Economy Through IP". Intellectual Property Watch. 2018-01-03. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "WTO | WIPO-WTO colloquiums for intellectual property teachers". www.wto.org. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "IP & Innovation Researchers of Asia Network – Excellence in Research and Thought Leadership in IP and Innovation in Asia". Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "ATRIP | Teaching and Research in Intellectual Property". Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- "IP for Youth & Teachers". welc.wipo.int. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- Waller, Nicholas (2021-06-02). "How international partnerships help boost Saudi intellectual property watchdog's effectiveness". New Europe. Retrieved 2021-07-09.
- Webmaster, I. P. O. "IPTI Update: Training of Trainers Program on Creative Industries with Trinidad and Tobago – Intellectual Property Office". Retrieved 2021-07-09.