W. Robert Godfrey
|Occupation||Professor, seminary president, minister|
|An Unexpected Journey, God's Pattern for Creation, Pleasing God in Our Worship|
|Tradition or movement||Reformed|
W. Robert Godfrey is a minister in the United Reformed Churches in North America and formerly served as the third President of Westminster Seminary California. As of 2017 he is president emeritus and professor emeritus of church history. He currently is chairman of Ligonier Ministries located in Sanford, Florida, where he took over this position from the late Dr. R. C. Sproul. He has taught at Westminster Seminary California since 1981 and has previously taught at Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, as well as Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Stanford University. He is a council member of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, an organization of pastors and theologians from the Baptist, Presbyterian, Reformed, Anglican, Congregational, and Lutheran church communities. He has been a speaker at many theological conferences including those sponsored by the Philadelphia Conference on Reformed Theology, Ligonier Ministries, and the Lausanne Committee for World Evangelization.
Godfrey grew up in Alameda, California where his father and grandfather both served as Mayor. He lives in California with his wife Mary Ellen, with whom he has three grown children who also reside in California.
Godfrey is the author of the following books:
- An Unexpected Journey
- Reformation Sketches
- Pleasing God in Our Worship
- God's Pattern for Creation
- John Calvin: Pilgrim and Pastor
- Saving the Reformation: The pastoral Theology of the Canons of Dort
He has written chapters or articles for the following books:
- John Calvin, His Influence in the Western World
- Through Christ's Word
- Theonomy: A Reformed Critique
- The Agony of Deceit
- Roman Catholicism
- Sola Scriptura!
- The Practice of Confessional Subscription
- The Coming Evangelical Crisis
- Dr. W. Robert Godfrey, retrieved November 29, 2012
- "An interview with W. Robert Godfrey". Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- McDonough, Susan (August 11, 2004). "Island mourns the death of 'Mr. Alameda'". East Bay Times. Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- W. Robert Godfrey Biography (PDF), retrieved May 22, 2018