Vice presidents of the Court of Appeal of Hong Kong are senior Justices' of Appeal who have been appointed by the Chief Judge of the High Court of Hong Kong to preside over certain divisions of the Court of Appeal. Originally, there were only two vice presidents, dealing with the criminal division and civil division respectively. This later grew to three to include a mixed division, and occasionally up to 4 to help ease the burden of workload on each Vice President.
Role and responsibilities
The vice-presidents usually preside over an appeal hearing; if the Chief Judge is sitting, then he or she shall preside. From an order of precedence standpoint, they are more senior than regular justices of appeal and often are given some administrative responsibilities by the Chief Judge. However, from a judicial judgement standpoint, vice presidents, like the Chief Judge, are the same as any Justice of Appeal and do not possess any greater power during appeals.
List of vice presidents since 1997
|1||Gerald Paul Nazareth||1997–2000||Non-Permanent Judge of the Court of Final Appeal||QC (1981)|
|2||John Barry Mortimer||1997–1999||Non-Permanent Judge of the Court of Final Appeal||QC (1971)|
|3||Michael Stuart-Moore||1999–2009||Retired||QC (1990)|
|4||Gerald Michael Godfrey||2000||Retired||QC (1971)|
|5||Simon Herbert Mayo||2000–2002||Retired|
|6||Anthony Gordon Rogers||2000–2011||Retired||QC (1984)|
|7||Woo Kwok-hing||2004–2011||Retired||QC (1987)|||
|8||Robert Tang Kwok-ching||2006–2012||Permanent Judge of the Court of Final Appeal||QC (1986)|||
|9||Frank Stock||2009–2014||Non-Permanent Judge of the Court of Final Appeal||QC (1985)|||
|10||Wally Yeung Chun-kuen||2011–|||
|11||Johnson Lam Man-hon||2013–2021||Permanent Judge of the Court of Final Appeal|||
|12||Michael Victor Lunn||2014–2018||Retired||QC (1994)|||
|13||Andrew Colin Macrae||2018–||SC (1999)|||
|14||Susan Kwan Shuk-hing||2019–|||
- "Report of the Subcommittee on proposed senior judicial appointments" (PDF). Hong Kong Legislative Council. 13 June 2003.
- "Retired judge Woo Kwok-hing first to officially throw hat in the ring for Hong Kong's 2017 chief executive election". South China Morning Post. 2016-10-26. Retrieved 2020-07-20.
- Keepthinking. "The Honourable Robert TANG Ching, GBM, SBS, JP". www.westkowloon.hk. Retrieved 2020-07-20.
- "Face to Face with Frank Stock, Former Vice-President of the Court of Appeal | Hong Kong Lawyer". www.hk-lawyer.org. Retrieved 2020-07-20.
- "Hong Kong's Legal Services". www.legalhub.gov.hk. Retrieved 2020-07-20.
- "Judicial appointment". www.info.gov.hk. Retrieved 2020-07-20.
- "Michael Lunn to head panel to review bus franchise | Hong Kong | China Daily". www.chinadailyhk.com. Retrieved 2020-07-20.
- "Appointment of Vice-President of the Court of Appeal". www.info.gov.hk. Retrieved 2020-07-20.
- "Appointment of Vice-President of the Court of Appeal of the High Court". www.info.gov.hk. Retrieved 2020-07-20.