Early life and education
Macdonald's teaching career began in 1998 at Illinois State University where she was Associate Professor of Art. She started at University of Massachusetts Amherst in 2006, and since 2018 she has been the Chair of the UMass Department of Art.
Macdonald has been a practicing artist since the mid-1990s. She is best known for her works in drawing and painting. Her interest lies in the metaphorical associations of inversion and reflection, such as states of disorientation.
Macdonald also makes drawings inspired by row coverings and cold frames dotted around the local Western Massachusetts landscape. She uses both small, intimate (5 in. x 9 in.) and large, physical (up to 8 feet wide). As of 2020, her two current painting series are titled Sky on Ground and Ground Covering, where "ground" is both a noun and a verb: the earth beneath our feet, and the act of anchoring and situating a body in place.
Since 2008, Macdonald has been represented by Cynthia-Reeves Gallery in New Hampshire.
- Tarble Arts Center at Eastern Illinois University (2015)
- Roswell Museum and Art Center, Roswell, New Mexico (2011)
- Cleve Carney Museum of Art at the College of DuPage, Illinois (2007)
In May, 2021, she will open a solo show at the Zillman Art Museum at the University of Maine.
- Duxbury Art Complex Museum, Duxbury, Massachusetts (2019)
- Ukrainian Institute of Modern Art, Chicago, Illinois (2018)
- Lynden Sculpture Garden, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (2012)
- Glenbow Art Museum, Calgary, Alberta (2011)
- McMaster Museum of Art, Hamilton, Ontario (2011)
- Chelsea Art Museum, New York, New York (2011)
- Evansville Museum of Arts, History and Science, Evansville, Indiana (2009)
- Telfair Art Museum, Savannah, Georgia (2006)
- Evanston Art Center, Evanston, Illinois (2005)
- Lindsey Westbrook (Summer 2003), "Review of 'Terrain'", Art News.
- Jenn Goddu (December 16, 2005), "Review of 'Inscape'", Chicago Tribune (interview with curator Sophia Zutautus from the Chicago Cultural Center).
- Susan Snodgrass (September 2006), "Review of 'Inscape' and 'Six Years of Drawing'", Art in America.
Macdonald frequently presents her research in public lectures, symposia and panels, including at the College Art Association Conference and the Vermont Studio Center. She has been a visiting artist over fifty times including international venues such as Massey University (Wellington, New Zealand), University of Alberta and University of Calgary (Alberta, Canada), and McMaster University (Ontario, Canada).
- "Shona Macdonald | Department of Art | UMass Amherst". www.umass.edu.
- Luis Martinez (August 24, 2015). "Tarble series features Macdonald art exhibit". Daily Eastern News.
- "Shona MacDonald". The RAiR Foundation.
- "WORKS ON PAPER". Cleve Carney Museum of Art.
- "Past Exhibitions". The Art Complex Museum.
- "Increment Opening Reception". UIMA.
- "Inside/Outside: Will Pergl + Shona Macdonald". Lynden Sculpture Garden.
- "U of A artists take Manhattan". Folio. November 16, 2011.
- Susan Schwalb; Tom Mazzullo (2018). Silverpoint and Metalpoint Drawing: A Complete Guide to the Medium. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 9781351260343 – via Google Books.
- "Achievements 2010-2011 | Interdisciplinary Studies Institute | UMass Amherst". www.umass.edu.