|"Understand Your Man"|
|Single by Johnny Cash|
|from the album I Walk the Line|
|B-side||"Dark as a Dungeon"|
|Johnny Cash singles chronology|
"Understand Your Man" is a song written and recorded by American singer Johnny Cash. It was released in January 1964 as the first single from the album I Walk the Line. The single went to #1 on the country charts for six weeks. The song also crossed over to the Top 40, peaking at #35.
It was also the last song Cash ever performed in front of an audience. It was the last song in his performance at the Carter Family Fold in Hiltons, Virginia, on 5 July 2003. Prior to singing it, Cash told the audience that at that point he had not performed it live in 25 years. (It was not, however, the final song he ever sang as, despite failing health, he continued to make studio recordings until late August 2003, shortly before his death.)
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||35|
- Johnny Cash interviewed on the Pop Chronicles (1969)
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 75.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 111.
- Turner, Steve (2005). The man called Cash: the life, love, and faith of an American legend. Thomas Nelson Inc. ISBN 0-8499-0815-9.
- "Johnny Cash Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Johnny Cash Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.