|Type 3 machine gun|
|Type||Heavy machine gun|
|Place of origin||Empire of Japan|
|Used by||See Users|
|Wars||World War I|
Second Sino-Japanese War
Soviet–Japanese border conflicts
World War II
First Indochina War
|Mass||55 kg (121 lb 4 oz)|
|Length||119.8 cm (3 ft 11.2 in)|
|Barrel length||737 mm (2 ft 5 in)|
|Rate of fire||400-450 rounds per minute|
|Muzzle velocity||740 m/s (2,400 ft/s)|
|Maximum firing range||4 km (2.5 mi)|
|Feed system||30 round Hotchkiss-style feed strip|
The Type 3 heavy machine gun was based on the design of the Hotchkiss M1914. Although the Hotchkiss used 8mm cartridges, from 1914 Japan produced the Type 3 under license from Hotchkiss using the 6.5x50mm Arisaka ammunition.
It used an ammo strip for loading rounds. Its tripod could be used as an anti-aircraft mounting, and special anti-aircraft sights were provided.
- Chile: Chile bought several hundred Type 3 machine guns in 7×57mm Mauser as Modelo 1920. Barrels were manufactured in France by Hotchkiss but most of the weapon was made at the Kokura arsenal.
- China: Purchased for Chang Tso-lin's Fengtian Army. Later used by the Collaborationist Chinese Army
- Empire of Japan
- North Korea: It was used by the Korean People's Army during the Korean War.
- North Vietnam
- Illustrated Directory of 20th Century Guns David Miller p.478
- Musée de l'Armée, Paris
- Legendre, Jean-François (July 2009). "Feed Strips for Japanese MGs". Small Arms Review. Vol. 12 no. 10.
- Chinese Warlord Armies 1911-30 by Philip Jowett, page 22.
- Jowett 2004, p. 86.
- "Type 3 Type 92 Heavy Machine Guns - Japan". 2010-10-27.
- Jowett, Philip S. (2004). Rays of the rising sun : armed forces of Japan's Asian allies, 1931-45. 1, China & Manchukuo. Helion. p. 15. ISBN 9781906033781.
- Kinard, Jeff (2010). "Machine guns". In Tucker, Spencer C.; Pierpaoli, Paul G., Jr. (eds.). The Encyclopedia of the Korean War: A Political, Social, and Military History. 1. A-L (2nd ed.). ABC-CLIO. p. 535. ISBN 978-1-85109-849-1.
- "Vũ khí Việt Nam trong hai cuộc kháng chiến". www.quansuvn.net. Retrieved 2020-07-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Type 3 heavy machine gun.|