|Single by George Strait|
|from the album One Step at a Time|
|B-side||"Remember the Alamo"|
|Released||June 22, 1998|
|Recorded||September 8, 1997|
|George Strait singles chronology|
"True" is a song written by Marv Green and Jeff Stevens, and recorded by American country music artist George Strait. It was released in June 1998 as the second single from his album, One Step at a Time. The song peaked at number 2 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) charts and reached number-one on the Canadian RPM Country Tracks chart.
Larry Flick, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, saying that the production has an "open, airy feel that underscores the honest emotion in the lyric." He goes on to say that Strait's phrasing "adds appeal and turns a sweet, ordinary song into something special."
The song debuted at number 69 on the Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart dated May 2, 1998, from unsolicited airplay, while "I Just Want to Dance With You" was still climbing that chart. A month later, it was released as a single, and re-entered the chart at number 64 on the week of June 13, 1998. It charted for a total of 25 weeks on that chart, and peaked at number 2 on the chart dated August 29, 1998.
"True" was the first of Strait's singles to top the charts in Canada, without reaching number 1 in his native USA.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||23|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||11|
- Latest Greatest Sraitest Hits (CD). George Strait. MCA Nashville. 2000.CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) (link)
- Billboard, July 11, 1998
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 7904." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. August 31, 1998. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- "George Strait Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1998". RPM. December 14, 1998. Archived from the original on March 15, 2016. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- "Best of 1998: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1998. Retrieved July 14, 2013.