|Chemnitz tramway network|
|Locale||Chemnitz, Saxony, Germany|
The Chemnitz tramway network (German: Straßenbahnnetz Chemnitz) is a network of tramways forming the centrepiece of the public transport system in Chemnitz, a city in the federal state of Saxony, Germany.
Opened in 1880 as a horsecar system, the network was converted to an electrically powered system between 1893 and 1898. The network's gauge, originally 914 mm (3 ft), was widened to 925 mm (3 ft 13⁄32 in) by the outbreak of World War I. From the 1950s, the gauge was widened further, to 1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in) standard gauge, although the gauge conversion work was not completed until as late as 1988.
As of 10 December 2017[update], the network consists of 9 lines, as follows:
|Schönau ↔ Brückenstraße||11||CVAG||continues from Brückenstraße as lineto Bernsdorf|
|Bernsdorf ↔ Brückenstraße||10||CVAG||continues from Brückenstraße as lineto Schönau|
|Hauptbahnhof ↔ Technopark||12||CVAG|
|Hutholz ↔ Hauptbahnhof (via Stollberger Straße)||20||CVAG|
|Gablenz ↔ Hutholz (via Annaberger Straße)||27||CVAG|
|(Stollberg ↔) Altchemnitz ↔ Hauptbahnhof||16 (+10)||CBC||South of Altchemnitz this line operates as a railway using Zwönitz–Chemnitz Süd railway line|
|(Burgstädt ↔) Hauptbahnhof ↔ Technopark||12 (+4)||CBC||East of Chemnitz Hauptbahnhof this line operates as a railway using Neukieritzsch–Chemnitz railway|
|(Mittweida ↔) Hauptbahnhof ↔ Technopark||12 (+5)||CBC||East of Chemnitz Hauptbahnhof this line operates as a railway using Riesa–Chemnitz railway|
|(Hainichen ↔) Hauptbahnhof ↔ Technopark||12 (+7)||CBC||East of Chemnitz Hauptbahnhof this line operates as a railway using Dresden–Werdau railway and Roßwein–Niederwiesa railway|
- Bauer, Gerhard; Kuschinski, Norbert (1993). Die Straßenbahnen in Ostdeutschland [The Tramways in East Germany]. Band 1: Sachsen [Volume 1: Saxony]. Aachen, Germany: Schweers + Wall. ISBN 3921679796. (in German)
- Schwandl, Robert (2012). Schwandl's Tram Atlas Deutschland (in German and English) (3rd ed.). Berlin: Robert Schwandl Verlag. pp. 30–31. ISBN 9783936573336.
- Media related to Tram transport in Chemnitz at Wikimedia Commons
- Track plan of the Chemnitz tram system
- Chemnitz database / photo gallery and Chemnitz tram list at Urban Electric Transit – in various languages, including English.
- Chemnitz database / photo gallery at Phototrans – in various languages, including English.