|Too Many Kisses|
|Directed by||Paul Sloane|
|Written by||John Monk Saunders|
Gerald C. Duffy
|Produced by||Jesse L. Lasky|
|Distributed by||Famous Players-Lasky|
|60 minutes; 6 reels (5,759 feet)|
Richard Gaylord Jr. is a modern Lothario who has so many sweethearts that his father does not know what to do with him. Tired of paying to get his son out of one romantic entanglement after another, Richard Gaylord Sr. sends his son to the Basque region of France, believing that the women there will only accept attentions from their own people.
Almost immediately, a local girl, Yvonne Hurja becomes infatuated with Richard, who she sees as being able to help her break free from the unwanted attention of local guardsman Julio. A rivalry grows between Richard and Julio.
- Richard Dix - Richard Gaylord, Jr
- Frances Howard - Yvonne Hurja
- William Powell - Julio
- Frank Currier - Richard Gaylord, Sr
- Joseph Burke - Mr. Simmons
- Albert Tavernier - Manuel Hurja
- Arthur Ludwig - Miguel
- Paul Panzer - Pedro
- Harpo Marx - The Village Peter Pan
- Alyce Mills - Flapper
A review in Billboard read, "This is an excellent selection for any exhibitor[...] Dix, as Richard Gaylord, is dashing and pleasing in every scene. His admirers especially will derive gratification from his work".
This film is notable for being the earliest surviving film to feature Harpo Marx of the Marx Brothers. It is the only film in which he didn't star alongside his brothers. (His younger brother Zeppo starred in the similarly-titled A Kiss in the Dark, released only three months later). Harpo plays the Village Peter Pan, and technically has speaking lines (albeit not heard, since this is a silent film) -- for the first and last time in his career.
The film has been restored by the Film Preservation Society, its television premiere coming on Turner Classic Movies on November 29, 2020 before its release to Blu-ray the following day. Marx's son Bill Marx composed and recorded a new soundtrack for this restoration.
- Hall, Mordaunt (March 3, 1925). "Movie Review". The New York Times. Retrieved January 27, 2009.
- "Reviews: "Too Many Kisses'." The Billboard. Vol. 37, Iss. 11, (Mar 14, 1925): 57.
- "Film Reviews: Too Many Kisses." Variety. Vol. 78, Iss. 3, (Mar 4, 1925): 36-37.
- Too Many Kisses at silentera.com database
- Too Many Kisses Restoration
- Maltin, Leonard (October 20, 2020). "Rare Silent Films on Blu-Ray and DVD". Leonard Maltin's Movie Crazy. Retrieved November 22, 2020.