This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016)
The Woodbridge Company Limited is a Canadian private holding company based in Toronto, Ontario. It is the primary investment vehicle for members of the family of the late Roy Thomson, the first Baron Thomson of Fleet. David Binet has been the president and chief executive officer of the company since 2012.
Woodbridge is the principal and controlling shareholder (62.35%) of Thomson Reuters, a multinational media conglomerate. Thomson Reuters was formed in 2008, when the Thomson Corporation acquired Reuters.
In late 2010, Woodbridge sold its 40% interest in CTVglobemedia, a Canadian media company with ownership of the CTV Television Network, to BCE Inc. Woodbridge held the 85% interest in The Globe and Mail newspaper before acquiring the remaining 15% owned by BCE on August 2015.
Woodbridge is the primary investment vehicle for members of the family of the late Roy Thomson, the first Baron Thomson of Fleet. David Thomson and his brother, Peter Thomson, became chairmen of Woodbridge in 2006 upon the death of their father, Kenneth Thomson.
According to Canadian Business magazine, Sherry Brydson (child of Irma Thomson, one of Roy Thomson's two daughters) holds the largest stake in the family company. It is estimated that she holds 23.47% of the company's shares.
- Markham Airport – owned by the Thomson family via Wings of Flight
- Postmedia Network – the successor to Canwest and Southam Newspapers
- Quebecor Media
- "The Woodbridge Company Limited". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Woodbridge selects long-time executive David Binet as president". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2020-06-03.
- 2015 Annual Report Regulatory Filing Archived 2020-05-22 at the Wayback Machine 156p
- Haycock, Gavin; MacMillan, Robert (2008-04-17). "Thomson Reuters debuts amid global market jitters". Reuters. Retrieved 2020-06-03.
- Canada (2010-09-10). "Woodbridge Acquires Direct Ownership of The Globe and Mail". CNW. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- "Canada's Richest People 2015: Meet Sherry Brydson, Canada's Richest Woman". Canadian Business. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "James Pattison takes crown as Canada's richest as new information reveals David Thomson's fortune smaller than thought". Financial Post. Retrieved 2018-03-31.