|The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives|
|Date of premiere||June 7, 2018|
|Final show||July 21, 2018|
The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives is a stage play by Rotimi Babatunde based on a 2010 novel of the same name by Nigerian poet, Lola Shoneyin. It was directed by Femi Elufowoju Jr and showed at the Arcola Theatre in London.
The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives explores the themes of polygamy, rivalry, sexuality, mental health and the struggles of African women.. The story follows the titular Baba Segi, his 4 wives, 7 children and a secret unraveled. Baba Segi is an unlettered but rich patriarch of a large household. There is an ongoing supremacy battle amongst the wives which Baba Segi is not wary of. He leaves his wives to their devices and marries Bolanle, a young university graduate whose naïveté leads to her struggles in Baba Segi's household. Bolanle's naïveté also leads to her unwitting unraveling of the untold secrets of Baba Segi's wives.
- Patrice Naiambana as Baba Segi
- Marcy Dolapo Oni as Bolanle
- Jumoké Fashola as Iya Segi (Baba Segi's first wife)
- Christina Oshunniyi as Iya Tope (Baba Segi's second wife)
- Layo-Christina Akinlude as Iya Femi (Baba Segi's third wife)
- Ayo-Dele Edwards
- Tania Nwachukwu
- Diana Yekinni
- Ayan De First
- Usifu Jalloh
Choreography - Kemi Durosinmi and Uche Onah
Costume - Shola Ajayi
Henry Hitchings of the Evening Standard rated the show 4/5. In his review, he said "This is an exuberantly entertaining show. Although the humour is often broad, there’s an unflinching seriousness in its depiction of violent abuse (and worse). Tellingly, too, it portrays a society that may notionally be overseen by men yet is actually run by women, and the line that lives in the memory is Iya Segi’s withering observation that “men are like yam — you cut them how you like”." It was also rated 4/5 by Whats On Stage and Londonist.
- Hitchings, Henry (2018-06-19). "The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives is enjoyably clamorous". Evening Standard. Retrieved 2021-06-08.
- Ohunyon, Ehis (2018-09-20). "Lola Shoneyin's debut novel set to hit the stage in Lagos". Pulse Nigeria. Retrieved 2021-06-09.
- Mayo, Douglas (2018-05-15). "Cast Announced For Arcola's The Secret Lives Of Baba Segi's Wives". British Theatre. Retrieved 2021-06-10.
- Wood, Alex (2018-06-13). "Review: The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives (Arcola Theatre) | WhatsOnStage". Whats On Stage. Retrieved 2021-06-10.
- Ewing, Paul (2018-06-18). "Theatre Review: The Secret Lives Of Baba Segi's Wives". Londonist. Retrieved 2021-06-10.
- Nicholas, Ephram Ryan Daniels (2019-03-28). "Casting announced for the Arcola Theatre's Hoard, the debut play by journalist Bim Adewunmi". London Theatre Direct. Retrieved 2021-06-10.
- Augoye, Jayne (2018-05-21). ""The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives" to hit London Theatre". Premium Times. Retrieved 2021-06-10.
- "'I go like if dem shoot Baba Segi Netflix series for Ibadan'". BBC News Pidgin. Retrieved 2021-06-10.