|The Postcard Killings|
|Directed by||Danis Tanović|
|Screenplay by||Tove Alsterdal|
Ellen Brown Furman
|Based on||The Postcard Killers|
by Liza Marklund and James Patterson
|Produced by||Paul Brennan|
Anna Sofia Mörck
Jeffrey Dean Morgan
|Starring||Jeffrey Dean Morgan|
|Edited by||Sean Barton|
|Music by||Simon Lacey|
Good Films Collective
|Distributed by||RLJE Films|
The Postcard Killings is a 2020 American crime film directed by Danis Tanović and starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Famke Janssen and Cush Jumbo. It is based on the 2010 novel The Postcard Killers by James Patterson and Liza Marklund.
Jakob Kanon, a New York detective, investigates the death of his daughter who was murdered while on her honeymoon; he recruits the help of an American journalist working in Sweden, Dessie Lombard, when other couples throughout Europe suffer a similar fate.
The movie opens with someone killing a young couple. It turns out to be Jacob Kanon's daughter and her husband who are in London on their honeymoon. He went to London to identify the bodies of his daughter and her new husband at the morgue.
After that Kanon starts investigating on who's the killer and moves to other European cities as the killer doesn't stop. With the help of Lombard and a German policeman he exposes the truth and understands what's going on.
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Jacob Kanon
- Famke Janssen as Valerie Kanon
- Cush Jumbo as Désirée “Dessie” Lombard
- Joachim Król as Inspector Bublitz
- Steven Mackintosh as Rupert Pearce
- Naomi Battrick as Sylvia Randolph
- Ruairi O'Connor as Mac Randolph
- Denis O'Hare as Simon Haysmith
- Eva Röse as DS Agneta Hoglund
- Lukas Loughran as Detective Evert Ridderwall
- Dylan Devonald Smith as Pieter
- Sallie Harmsen as Nienke
- Orla O'Rourke as Nancy
- Christopher Pizzey as Charles Hardwick
- Tim Ahern as Bill Brown
- Martin Wenner as Matts
- Caroline Bartholdson as Female Detective
- Daniel Sjöberg as Male Detective
- Ben Vinnicombe as Jose Martinez
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a approval rating of 24% based on 21 reviews, with an average rating of 4.17/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 29 out of 100, based on 4 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
Frank Scheck of The Hollywood Reporter wrote: "The filmmakers are clearly hoping that Patterson's name will be enough to attract moviegoers, but this misbegotten effort only serves to further tarnish a cinematic brand already diminished by 2012's Tyler Perry-starrer Alex Cross." Dennis Harvey of Variety said: "This uninspired detour into impersonally commercial English-language terrain for Bosnian director Danis Tanovic (an Oscar winner for 2001's No Man's Land) should provide Patterson's fans and undemanding miscellaneous viewers with an acceptably slick if not-particularly-suspenseful crime potboiler for home viewing." Brian Costello of Common Sense Media awarded the film three stars out of five.
- LePire, Bobby (8 April 2020). "The Postcard Killings". Film Threat. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- Hipes, Patrick (16 January 2020). "Jeffrey Dean Morgan Thriller 'The Postcard Killings' To Hit Theaters In March Via RLJE Films". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "The Postcard Killings (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- "The Postcard Killings Reviews". Metacritic. CBS. Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- Scheck, Frank (12 March 2020). "'The Postcard Killings': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- Harvey, Dennis (12 March 2020). "'The Postcard Killings': Film Review". Variety. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- Costello, Brian. "The Postcard Killings". Common Sense Media. Retrieved 29 May 2020.