|Categories||European Parliament news, opinion and comment|
The Parliament Magazine is a monthly EU politics magazine covering EU news, opinion and comment. Theparliamentmagazine.eu is an active and engaging forum for discussion on the latest developments in EU politics and policy, featuring regular contributions from prominent European policymakers and its editorial team.
History and profile
The Parliament Magazine was founded in 1995. The magazine is owned by Dods, a British company that provides contact and biographical information about the Houses of Parliament and the Civil Service since 1832. It is one of the oldest political publishing houses in the world, and has produced essential publications for over 174 years. They also publish Dod's Parliamentary Companion.
Contributors and editorial agenda
The magazine is based upon contributions—both editorial and advertorial—from sitting members of parliament, NGOs, pressure and interest groups on issues currently under discussion within the European institutions. In the last parliamentary session, more than 200 members of the European Parliament and 19 of the 27 European Commissioners wrote specifically for the magazine, providing in-depth policy coverage and analysis. Managing editor is Brian Johnson, who also oversees the publication of www.theparliamentmagazine.eu.
Readership and distribution
- All MEPs
- All Secretaries-General and senior press
- Officers of the nine political groups
EU President and Presidency officials
- Council of Ministers
- Senior officials in the General Secretariat of the Council
- All EU Commissioners, Chefs de Cabinet and officials with responsibility for parliamentary relations
- All members in Brussels
- Brussels secretariat
- Senior officials
- Senior officials
The Regional Review is a sister publication to The Parliament Magazine that focuses on news and analysis of regional policy legislation and developments at EU, national and regional levels. It has been described as "unique on the EU publishing scene".
Published every quarter, the Research Review focuses on research news and analysis across the EU.
Awards and events
The MEP Awards
The Parliament Magazine organises the annual MEP Awards, a ceremony to highlight the work of MEPs across various policy areas. Former Commission Vice-President Margot Wallström has hailed the event as highlighting the European Parliament's work. Winners at past awards included prominent MEPs such as Paul Rübig, Jo Leinen, Malcolm Harbour and Eva-Britt Svensson, as well as a nomination for Liz Lynne for her work to advance the rights of blind people.
The EPA Awards
Analogous to the MEP Awards, the European Public Affairs (EPA) Awards aim to highlight the work of outstanding Public Affairs professionals across Europe. Judges at the 2010 awards included a number of senior professionals from influential organisations.
The Parliament Magazine regularly organises roundtables, conferences, debates and receptions on a range of topics.
- "Media Partners". European Commission. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Contact Us". The Parliament Magazine. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- Europe edition
- TheParliament.com - About: Regional Review
- TheParliament.com - About: Research Review
- European Parliament website - "The Parliament Magazine’s MEP Awards Ceremony"
- Award announcement, Press release, retrieved 11 April 2013.
- European Public Health Alliance website - "2010 Winners of MEP awards"
- Dudley Liberal Democrats - "European Blind Union nominates Liz Lynne for MEP Awards"
- EPA Awards website - judges
- TheParliament.com - Past events