|Directed by||James Young|
|Written by||Edmund Goulding|
|Based on||play The Devil by Ferenc Molnár|
|Produced by||Associated Distributors Incorporated|
Andrew J. Callaghan
|Distributed by||Associated Exhibitors|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
The Devil is a surviving 1921 silent drama film directed by James Young and starring stage actor George Arliss in a film version of his 1908 Broadway success of Ferenc Molnár's play, The Devil (aka Az ordog) . Long thought to be a lost film, a print was discovered in the 1990s and restored by the Library of Congress.
This was George Arliss' first film following a successful career on Broadway. Arliss' wife Florence Arliss co-starred with him in the film, and continued to do so until he died in 1946. Director Young was silent screen star Clara Kimball Young's ex-husband. Future Oscar-winner Fredric March had an uncredited bit part in the film.
The Devil, in the guise of a human named Dr. Muller (Arliss), meets a young couple (Marie and her fiance Georges) who remark upon looking at a Renaissance painting of a martyr that Evil could never triumph over Good. The Devil, taking this as a challenge, decides to bring about the couple's downfall. In the end, Marie resorts to the power of prayer and a shining crucifix appears that causes the Devil to disappear in a burst of flames.
- George Arliss as Dr. Muller
- Lucy Cotton as Marie Matin
- Roland Bottomley as Georges Roben
- Sylvia Breamer as Mimi
- Florence Arliss as Marie's Aunt (credited as Mrs. George Arliss)
- Edmund Lowe as Paul de Veaux
- Fredric March as Bal Masque Participant (uncredited)
- The Devil (1918)
- The Devil, as presented on Broadway August 1908
- Workman, Christopher; Howarth, Troy (2016). Tome of Terror: Horror Films of the Silent Era. Midnight Marquee Press. pp. 233–234. ISBN 978-1936168-68-2.
- The AFI Catalog of Feature Films 1893-1993: The Devil
- The Library of Congress/FIAF American Silent Feature Film Survival Catalog: The Devil
- Progressive Silent Film List: The Devil at silentera.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Devil (1921 film).|