|That Midnight Kiss|
|Directed by||Norman Taurog|
|Produced by||Joe Pasternak|
|Screenplay by||Bruce Manning|
|Music by||Charles Previn (uncredited)|
Conrad Salinger (uncredited)
|Cinematography||Robert L. Surtees|
|Edited by||Gene Ruggiero|
That Midnight Kiss is a 1949 Technicolor American musical romance film also starring Mario Lanza (in his first leading role) and Kathryn Grayson. Among the supporting cast were Ethel Barrymore, conductor/pianist Jose Iturbi (playing himself), Keenan Wynn, J. Carrol Naish, and Jules Munshin. The commercially popular film was directed by Norman Taurog, who the following year would again direct Lanza and Grayson in the even more successful The Toast of New Orleans.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2014)
Abigail Trent Budell (Ethel Barrymore), a wealthy resident of Philadelphia and patron of the arts, supports her soprano granddaughter Prudence Budell (Kathryn Grayson), just returning from Europe after five years of vocal training. Prudence's grandmother sponsors an opera company run by the famous maestro Jose Iturbi (himself) to give her chance to lead an opera. They hire the also famous tenor Guido Russino Betelli (Thomas Gomez), but Prudence does not feel comfortable with him on the stage.
Prudence happens to see an American-Italian truck driver, Johnny Donnetti (Mario Lanza), singing opera. She soon becomes instrumental in bringing Johnny to public attention by insisting that he replace the opera troupe's defecting star tenor.
From here, Johnny becomes attracted to Prudence. Things get complicated when she encounters Mary (Marjorie Reynolds), one of Johnny's colleagues, whom she assumes is in love with him.
- Kathryn Grayson as Prudence Budell
- José Iturbi as José Iturbi (as Jose Iturbi)
- Ethel Barrymore as Abigail Trent Budell
- Mario Lanza as Johnny Donnetti
- Keenan Wynn as Artie Geoffrey Glenson
- J. Carrol Naish as Papa Donnetti
- Jules Munshin as Michael Pemberton
- Thomas Gomez as Guido Russino Betelli
- Marjorie Reynolds as Mary
- Arthur Treacher as Hutchins
- Mimi Aguglia as Mamma Donnetti
- Amparo Iturbi as Amparo Iturbi
- Bridget Carr as Donna Donnetti
- Amparo Ballester as Rosina Donnetti
- Ann Codee as Mme. Bouget
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- "Top Grossers of 1949". Variety. 4 January 1950. p. 59.
- That Midnight Kiss at IMDb
- That Midnight Kiss at AllMovie
- That Midnight Kiss at the TCM Movie Database
- That Midnight Kiss at the American Film Institute Catalog