|Founder||John de Mol Jr.|
|John de Mol Jr. |
(Founder & CEO)
|Owner||John de Mol Jr. |
via Talpa Holding
Talpa Network is a Dutch media conglomerate created by John de Mol Jr. in 2017.
Talpa Network was created in 2017 by John de Mol when he merged all his various media assets, De Mol wanted to create a Dutch media conglomerate that could stand against foreign media companies entering the Dutch market. Talpa Holding and Sanoma acquired SBS Broadcasting in 2011, the Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets forced De Mol to sell his minority stake in RTL Nederland. De Mol would remain a minority shareholder in SBS Broadcasting, until 2017 when his Talpa Holding acquired all remaining shares in SBS Broadcasting from Sanoma for € 237 million. After the forced sell of RTL Nederland De Mol took full ownership of Radio 538, SLAM! FM and Radio 10 Gold. In October of 2016 De Mol merged his radio stations with the radio stations of the Telegraaf Media Groep into Talpa Radio, a joint venture in which he would hold a 77% stake. He also wanted to fully acquire the Telegraaf Media Groep in which he already had a minority share and merge it with SBS Broadcasting. The Belgium Mediahuis also made several offers for the remaining shares and were the winner of the acquisition, leaving De Mol as a minority shareholder. In December of 2017 De Mol sold his 29% share to Mediahuis, but acquired full ownership of Talpa Radio. Other notable acquisitions were StukTV (2018), ANP (2018), Linda. Magazine (2019), Gierige Gasten (2019) and TVGids.tv (2019).
After John de Mol raised his stake in SBS Broadcasting in 2017 to full ownership he sought a partnership with RTL Nederland. In his opinion there wasn't enough space for two major Dutch commercial television networks in the changed media landscape, RTL shut down his offer. However in June 2021 RTL Nederland and Talpa Network announced plans for a merger, pending approval by the European Commission and the Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets. In the new conglomerate, RTL Nederland is to hold 70% of the shares and Talpa Holding 30%. Talpa Entertainment Productions and Talpa Concepts won't be a part of the merger. Both parties reasoned that a merger was the only solution to an ever growing presence of foreign media parties, giving space to a single commercial Dutch media company that's capable of producing specifically for the Dutch market. Critics however claimed that the failing of Talpa Network is the reason behind the merger.
- SBS6, flagship channel of the group
- Net5, focused on the female demographic
- Veronica, focused on the male demographic. Shares the channel with Disney XD.
- SBS9, focused on movies and series
- KIJK, catching up service
- JUKE, online radio platform
- Voetbal TV
- StukTV, youtube channel acquired in 2018
- Gierige Gasten, youtube channel acquired in 2019
- S1, influencer agency
- New Wave
- Shout Out
- LINDA., magazine and online platform
- Talpa Entertainment Producties
- Talpa Events
- Talpa Gaming, joint venture with Azerion
- Talpa Media Solutions, advertisement agency
- Talpa E-Commerce
A list of former assets of Talpa Network / Talpa Holding.
- Talpa TV / Tien (2004-2007), Talpa TV started in late 2004 and began its broadcasts on 13 August 2005 under the same name Talpa. Talpa (later Tien) was from 13 August 2005 to see every day from 18:00 on the channel that was filled during the day by the children's channel Nickelodeon. From Saturday, 16 December 2006 the station was broadcasting 24 hours a day. That was a long cherished wish of Talpa-founder John de Mol fulfilled. The station distinguished itself from the competition by allowing existence more than 80% of its interpretation of Dutch products. In addition, managed Talpa Content the majority of its program rights. On 27 June 2007 the channel stopped due to disappointing ratings. The channel was sold to RTL Nederland and was rebranded to RTL 8.
- RTL Nederland (2007-2011), Talpa Holding had a 26,3% share obtained after their sell of channel Tien and radio station Radio 538.
- Talpa Radio
- 4FM (2004 - 2007)
- Radio 100 FM (2003-2009)
- Noordzee FM
- Fuel for Travel, a digital content store at Schiphol Airport.
- Mundo, an independent dating site.
- Skoeps.nl (2006-2008), in October 2006 Talpa Holding, together with PCM Uitgevers, launched the news-in-picture Skoeps.nl website. Aim of this website was to offer user-generated content; visitors could post their own news photos and videos. Should user-generated content be successfully sold to other news media, then profits would be shared with the creator. Operations were terminated on 5 May 2008 because they never became profitable.
- Talpa Music (2005-2014), Talpa Music engages in the international and national production of music, the exploitation of copyrights, music publishing, production and licensing of image and sound carriers, developing artists and their image (merchandise), advice on music industry and the exploitation of music in the area of internet applications. On an international level Talpa Music works with composers among others Burt Bacharach, Tom Waits, Bill Withers, Maxi Jazz (Faithless) and Lil John (Usher). It was eventually sold to BMG Rights Management.
- Talpa Media (2005-2015), production company sold to ITV Studios in 2015.
- Talpa Scandinavia (2006-2007)
- Radio Digitaal (2006-2008), the first Dutch commercial online radio platform.
- ANP (2018-2021), news agency sold to investor Chris Oomen.
- "De Mol bundelt mediabedrijven in Talpa Network". NU (in Dutch). 23 November 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- "Sanoma en Talpa nemen SBS Nederland over". Het Parool (in Dutch). 20 April 2011. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- ANP (10 April 2017). "Sanoma verkoopt SBS aan Talpa". Het Parool (in Dutch). Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- "John de Mol verkoopt belang Telegraaf Media Groep aan Mediahuis". Het Laatste Nieuws (in Dutch). 1 December 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- "RTL versus Talpa: wie gaat winnen?". Metronieuws.nl (in Dutch). 18 January 2019. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- "Fusie RTL Nederland en Talpa Network, 'we zijn tot elkaar veroordeeld'" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Omroep Stichting. 22 June 2021. Retrieved 23 June 2021.
- "RTL en Talpa tot elkaar veroordeeld? 'Geklets, het gaat niet goed met SBS van De Mol'". nos.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 24 June 2021.
- "BMG neemt Talpa Music over". Emerce (in Dutch). Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- "Talpa verkoopt persbureau ANP aan investeerder Chris Oomen". nos.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- Danny van den Berg (3 May 2016). "Talpa voegt Radio 10 samen met 538, Sky en Veronica". nu.nl (in Dutch). DPG Media Digital B.V. ANP.