|Current season, competition or edition:|
2021 Super Rugby AU season
|No. of teams||5|
|Reds (1st title) |
(2021 Super Rugby AU season)
|Most titles||Brumbies & |
Reds (1 title)
Super Rugby Aotearoa
Super Rugby Unlocked
Super Rugby AU currently named the Harvey Norman Super Rugby AU for sponsorship purposes is a rugby union competition organised by Rugby Australia. The competition was created to supplant the 2020 Super Rugby season, which had been suspended in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Due to ongoing international travel restrictions relating to the pandemic, the competition will continue with a second season in 2021. The competition features the four Australian Super Rugby teams from the Australian conference, with the addition of Western Force, in a round-robin tournament over a 12-week period, made up of 10 rounds, a qualifying final and a final.
The competition was announced on 12 May, with the first round commencing on 3 July, making it the third sport to return in Australia (behind AFL and NRL) and just the second rugby union competition to return. Initially, all games were played behind-closed-doors, with restrictions on crowds being eased over time.
During the 2020 season all matches were televised live by affiliate partners Fox Sports. Following Rugby Australia's broadcast deal with Nine Network, all games will be broadcast on streaming service Stan, with one game a round being simulcast on Nine's flagship free to air channel.
Super Rugby AU is shown by the following broadcasters:
The 2020 tournament was run by Rugby Australia with the sponsorship of Foxtel which provided television coverage on its Fox Sports channels with Vodafone (Australia) being the naming rights sponsor. Gilbert is the official supplier of all rugby balls. Ahead of the 2021 season, Foxtel and Vodafone ended their sponsorship agreements, with Nine Network and Stan Sports providing the television coverage. Ahead of the start of the 2021 season, Rugby Australia announced a naming right sponsorship deal with retail company Harvey Norman.
Official match day attire together with other club merchandise is sold through the Super Rugby AU's stores and website as well through the clubs and through some retailers.
- "Harvey Norman announced as Super Rugby AU naming rights partner for 2021". Rugby.com.au. 19 February 2021. Retrieved 19 February 2021.
- "Revealed: Rugby Australia announce 2021 Super Rugby AU draw". www.rugby.com.au. Retrieved 2 December 2020.
- "Suncorp Stadium derby to open Super Rugby AU competition". Rugby Australia. 10 June 2020. Retrieved 13 June 2020.
- "PM opens door for Super Rugby AU crowds". Rugby Australia. 12 June 2020. Retrieved 13 June 2020.
- "Brumbies get crowd boost for Super AU decider". ESPN.com. 10 September 2020. Retrieved 2 December 2020.
- Phillips, Sam (9 November 2020). "Nine, Rugby Australia confirm groundbreaking $100m broadcast deal". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2 December 2020.