Das completed his schooling from Krishnagar Collegiate School, Krishnanagar, Nadia. He passed B.A. (Hons) from the Presidency College and studied in the University of London. In 1921, he qualified Indian Civil Service by the open competitive examination and joined in the Indian administration.
Das worked in Bihar and Orissa as Assistant Magistrate and Collector thereafter served as District and Sessions Judge. He was Registrar of the Patna High Court. Das also became the Secretary, Legislative Department, Judicial Secretary and Legal Remembrancer and Labour Commissioner under the Bihar Government. In 1944 he was appointed as officiating Judge of the Patna High Court and became the Additional Judge in 1945. He served as Permanent Judge of the same High Court since 1948 to 1955. Das was elevated to the post of Chief Justice of the High Court in January 1955. He was promoted to the Judge of the Supreme Court of India on 30 April 1956 and served as acting Chief Justice from August, 1963. This period was described as Das Court. He inherited a court composed of 10 permanent judges, including himself. During this period Justice Das increased the strength of the Court, changed many personnel and tried to reform the infrastructures.
- Ranabir Samaddar (11 April 2009). State of Justice In India: Issues of Social Justice. ISBN 9788132104193. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Former Judges". Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "LIST OF RETIRED CHIEF JUSTICE". patnahighcourt.gov.in. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Apptt. of Shri Justice S.K. Das , Chief Justice of the patna High Court ,as Judge of the Supreme Court in the vacancy causes by the apptt. of Shri Justice S.R. das , as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court". Abhilekh Patal. 23 August 2017. Retrieved 7 June 2019.
- George H. Gadbois, Jr (2 May 2011). Judges of the Supreme Court of India: 1950–1989. ISBN 9780199088386. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "The Das Court (1956–9)". oxfordindex.oup.com. Retrieved 21 October 2018.