Kampwirth graduated from Franz Stock High School in Arnsberg in 1986 and then did his civilian service as an ambulance driver in Munich. After training at the Hamburg drama studio from 1989 until 1992 under the direction of Hildburg Frese, Kampwirth worked at the Schiller Theater in Berlin, the Burgtheater in Vienna, and the Kammerspiele in Munich. He performed under the direction of Leander Haußmann, Dieter Dorn, Georg Ringsgwandl, and Helmut Griem.
His film and television career began in the early 1990s with smaller roles in television series such as Großstadtrevier, Wolffs Revier, and Tatort. He became known to a wider audience with the television miniseries Ein unmöglicher Mann and the film version of Amelie Fried's novel Der Mann von Nebenan, in which he played the role of Lukas Lander. Kampwirth has been part of the Hamburg Kammerspiele ensemble in his adopted home of Hamburg since 2007. From 2013 until 2015, he played Dr. Bode in the television series Lerchenberg. In 2016, he played the role of Walter Richter in the film adaptation of Peter Stamm's Agnes, next to Odine Johne, who portrayed the titular role. Since 2017, Kampwirth has held one of the lead roles in the Netflix science fiction series Dark, that of Peter Doppler.
|2001||Atlantis: The Lost Empire||Milo Thatch||Voice (German version)|
|2011||Der Mann von Nebenan||Lukas Lander|
|2013||Das Kleine Gespenst||Karls Vater|
|2014||Who Am I||Martin Bohmer|
|1991||Schulz & Schulz||1 episode|
|1999||Ein unmöglicher Mann||5 episodes|
|2003||Ein starkes Team|
|2004||Berlin, Berlin||2 episodes|
|2005||Der Dicke||1 episode|
|2006||Das Duo||1 episode|
|Stubbe – Von Fall zu Fall|
|2008||Alarm für Cobra 11 – Die Autobahnpolizei||1 episode|
|2012||Cologne P.D.||1 episode|
|Die Chefin||Marc Berger||ongoing|
|Das Duo||1 episode|
|2013–2015||Lerchenberg||Dr. Berthold Bode|
|2013||Der letzte Bulle||1 episode|
|2017–2020||Dark||Peter Doppler||3 seasons|
- Bavarian Art Award in the field of "performing arts" (1998)
- "Expression en corto" festival, "Best Actor" for Die Überraschung (2005)
- "Concorto" festival, short film category, "Best Actor" for Die Überraschung (2006)
- Rolf Mares Prize, Outstanding Performance Actor/Singer/Dancer category, for the portrayal of Sebastian in Wir lieben und wissen nichts at the Hamburg Kammerspiele (2013)
- "Stephan Kampwirth". munzinger.de. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "Interview with Stephan Kampwirth". rp-online.de. 1 December 2014. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "Agnes" [Agnes]. moviepilot.de (in German). Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "Elf Preisträger*innen – ein Preis" [Eleven award winners - one prize]. theaterpreis-hamburg.org (in German). Retrieved 10 February 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stephan Kampwirth.|
- Stephan Kampwirth at IMDb
- Stephan Kampwirth at filmportal.de
- Stephan Kampwirth at Lambsdorff talent agency