|Saint Martin de Porres|
High School, Cleveland
6202 St. Clair Avenue
|Oversight||Society of Jesus (Jesuits)|
Sisters of the Humility of Mary
|Color(s)||Royal blue and black|
|Affiliation||Cristo Rey Network of Schools|
|Work study||Manager, Ann Davis|
Saint Martin de Porres High School was established in 2004 as a part of the Cristo Rey Network of work-study University-preparatory schools. It accepts only students who cannot afford the tuition, and most are one to two years behind their grade level.
At Saint Martin about one third of the tuition is covered by the educational voucher system in Ohio, but the corporate internship share is greater and allows for a superior level of education. In 2017 Saint Martin responded to the demand to educate more students and undertook a $30 million rebuilding project that would raise its capacity to 525 students. The new building facilitated a student-centered, project-based way of learning.
Campus ministry & service
There are liturgical celebrations throughout the year which are a part of the spiritual program for all students. In the first three years all students experience a day-long retreat, and in senior year an overnight retreat. Additionally, Kairos and men's/women's overnight retreats are optional.
All students are taught the Christian spirituality of service and participate in service-learning projects in the outside community. Also, special immersion opportunities are offered, as in Cleveland, West Virginia, New Orleans, and El Salvador. Other voluntary projects include the St. Philip Neri Hot meal Program, the Store Front Drop-in Center, United Cerebral Palsy, and St. Clair Superior Development Corporation. In addition, some school clubs include a service component in their activities.
- "How Private Schools Adapt to Vouchers: Saint Martin de Porres - Education Next". Education Next. 2014-03-04. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "St. Martin de Porres High School's new building is taking shape – Catholic Diocese of Cleveland". www.dioceseofcleveland.org. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Q&A: Richard Clark, president, Saint Martin de Porres | Crain's Cleveland Business". Crain's Cleveland Business. 2016-06-17. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Campus Ministry". saintmartincleveland.org. Retrieved 2017-08-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Martin de Porres High School (Cleveland).|
- School website
- Cristo Rey Network
- Collegiate partners - Cristo Rey Network
- Fr. John P. Foley honored with Presidential Citizen's Medal
- 60 minutes
- Cristo Rey Featured in WashPost column by George Will
- Boston Globe - With sense of purpose, students cut class for a day
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - Success of Innovative Urban Catholic School Sparks Major Investment