|South Carolina State Bulldogs football|
|Head coach||Oliver Pough |
18th season, 133–74 (.643)
|Stadium||Oliver C. Dawson Stadium|
|Location||Orangeburg, South Carolina|
|All-time record||453–291–28 (.605)|
|Bowl record||6–7 (.462)|
|Conference titles||17 (MEAC)|
|Colors||Garnet and blue|
|Marching band||The Marching 101|
The South Carolina State Bulldogs football team represents South Carolina State University in college football. The Bulldogs play in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) as a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC). A historically dominant football program, the Bulldogs lead the MEAC in conference championships. The school has produced four players enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame including Harry Carson, Deacon Jones, Marion Motley, and Donnie Shell. Other legendary Bulldog players include Robert Porcher, Darius Leonard, Charlie Brown and Orlando Brown Sr. among others. Legendary former SC State Coach Willie Jeffries became the first African American Head Coach of a predominantly white Division I-A football program, when he was hired to coach the Wichita State football program in 1979. Jeffries is enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame.
- 1946–1972: NCAA College Division
- 1967–1969: NAIA
- 1970–1978: NAIA Division I
- 1973–1977: NCAA Division II
- 1978–present: NCAA Division I–AA/FCS
- 1907–1938: Independent
- 1939–1970: Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
- 1971–present: Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference
South Carolina State vs. In-State NCAA Division I schools
|School||Record||Percentage||Streak||First Meeting||Last Meeting|
|Charleston Southern||7-0||1.000||Won 7||1991||1999|
|Coastal Carolina||0-5||.000||Lost 5||2005||2015|
|South Carolina||0-2||.000||Lost 2||2007||2009|
|The Citadel||0-4||.000||Lost 4||1989||2001|
|South Carolina State 17 - In-State NCAA Division I Schools 33|
Mid- Eastern Athletic Conference Championships
1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1994, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2019 
Division I-AA/FCS Playoffs results
The Bulldogs have appeared in the I-AA/FCS playoffs six times with a record of 2–6.
|W 26–25 OT|
|2008||First Round||Appalachian State||L 21–37|
|2009||First Round||Appalachian State||L 13–20|
|2010||First Round||Georgia Southern||L 16–41|
|2013||First Round||Furman||L 20–30|
Bowl game results
The Bulldogs have appeared in 13 bowl games, with a record of 6–7.
|1946||Pecan Bowl||Johnson C. Smith (NC)||W 13–6|
|1947||Pecan Bowl||Allen (SC)||W 7–0|
|1950||Peninsula Bowl||Allen (SC)||L 13–47|
|1973||Orange Blossom Classic||Florida A&M||L 12–23|
|1974||Textile Bowl||Wofford (SC)||L 0–20|
|1974||Pelican Bowl||Grambling St. (LA)||L 7–28|
|1975||Pelican Bowl||Southern (LA)||L 12–15|
|1976||Bicentennial Bowl||Norfolk St. (VA)||W 26–10|
|1977||Gold Bowl||Winston-Salem St. (NC)||W 10–7|
|1979||Gold Bowl||Norfolk St. (VA)||W 39–7|
|1994||Heritage Bowl||Southern (LA)||L 0–11|
|1994||Heritage Bowl||Grambling St. (LA)||W 31–27|
|1997||Heritage Bowl||Southern (LA)||L 28–34|
Professional Football Hall of Fame members (Canton, Ohio)
College Football Hall of Fame members
Alumni in the NFL
Over 40 South Carolina State alumni have played in the NFL, including:
- Phillip Adams
- Charlie Brown
- Orlando Brown Sr.
- Rafael Bush
- Barney Bussey
- Harry Carson
- Barney Chavous
- Anthony Cook
- John Gilliam
- Javon Hargrave
- Dwayne Harper
- Antonio Hamilton
- Temarrick Hemingway
- Willie Holman
- Deacon Jones
- William Judson
- Angelo King
- James Lee
- Darius Leonard
- Marshall McFadden
- Kimario McFadden
- Ervin Parker
- Robert Porcher
- Joe Thomas
- Christian Thompson
- Chatrick "Chuck" Darby
SC State has maintained a heated rivalry with the North Carolina A&T Aggies, Florida A&M Rattlers, and Bethune-Cookman Wildcats.
Oldest player to play in an NCAA Division I game
On November 19, 2016, Joe Thomas, Sr., father of Green Bay Packers linebacker Joe Thomas, became the oldest player to play in an NCAA Division I game. At 55 years of age, Thomas Sr., had one carry for three yards as a running back in a contest versus Savannah State.
- South Carolina State University Style Manual (PDF). Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- ""ESPN SportsCentury" Willie Jeffries (TV Episode 2002) - IMDb" – via www.imdb.com.
- "All-Time Football Champions". MEACSports.com.
- "Welcome cfbdatawarehouse.com - BlueHost.com". www.cfbdatawarehouse.com.
- "Harry Carson | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site". www.profootballhof.com.
- "David (Deacon) Jones | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site". www.profootballhof.com.
- "Donnie Shell | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site". www.profootballhof.com.
- "South Carolina St. Players/Alumni". Pro-Football-Reference.com.
- D'Andrea, Christian (December 18, 2016). "Bears' Ka'Deem Carey gets helmet decal knocked off by huge hit". SBNation.com.
- Editor, CHRIS CLARK T&D Sports. "Joe Thomas Sr. runs S.C. State into college football history, is ready to play again". The Times and Democrat.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Wire, S. I. "55-year-old running back makes D-I football history". Sports Illustrated.