|Discipline||Social history, economic history, political history|
|Edited by||Anne McCants|
|ISO 4||Soc. Sci. Hist.|
Social Science History is a quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal. It is the official journal of the Social Science History Association. Its articles bring an analytic, theoretical, and often quantitative approach to historical evidence. Its editors-in-chief are Anne McCants (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) and Kris Inwood of Guelph University.
The first issue came out in the fall of 1976. The journal's founders intended to "improve the quality of historical explanation" with "theories and methods from the social science disciplines" and to make generalizations across historical cases. The journal was first published by the University Center for International Studies at the University of Pittsburgh then starting in the 1980s by Duke University Press. Starting in 2015 the publisher is Cambridge University Press.
Lawsuit with publisher
The Social Science History Association invited bids from publishers and told the Duke University Press in June 2012 of its intent to end the agreement for the press to publish Social Science History. The association planned to seek another publisher. Duke asserted it owned the title of the journal, though not the copyright for its contents. In March 2013 the association sued the press for copyright infringement. When the case was resolved the association was able to switch publishers.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- Academic Search Elite
- Academic Search Premier
- America: History and Life
- Arts and Humanities Citation Index
- Current Contents/Arts and Humanities
- Historical Abstracts
- International Bibliography of Periodical Literature (IBZ)
- International Political Science Abstracts
- Scopus, Social Sciences Citation Index
- Sociological Abstracts
- Editors' Foreword, 1976. Social Science History, 1(1): i-ii
- Library of Congress Catalog Record: Social Science History
- Kevin Smith (2014-03-18). "More than meets the eye". Scholarly Communications @ Duke. Duke University Library. Retrieved 2014-06-30.
- Social science history : official journal of the Social Science History Association at WorldCat
- Social Science History Association and Cambridge University Press announce partnership to publish Social Science History. June 10, 2015.
- Jennifer Howard. Dispute over who will publish an academic journal goes to court. March 13, 2014. Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Kevin Smith. More than meets the eye. March 18, 2014. Scholarly Publishing @ Duke blog. Duke University Libraries.
- The Social Science History Association v. Duke University at RFC Express
- "Social Science History: Details, Abstractors/Indexers". Duke University Press.
- "Social Science History". 2012 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2013.