|Directed by||Harry Beaumont|
James C. Carroll
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
Skinner's Baby is a 1917 American silent comedy film starring Bryant Washburn, Hazel Daly, James C. Carroll, and U.K. Haupt. This film projected Washburn out of obscurity; it was quite a success. It was Jackie Coogan's first film role, as the baby, though uncredited. The film is believed to be lost.
It was released on August 6, 1917, and loosely based on the story by Henry Irving Dodge. The movie was the third of a Skinner series for Washburn, with Skinner's Dress Suit coming first in January 1917, followed by Skinner's Bubble and Skinner's Baby, all in the same year.
Motography wrote that while the film "lacks the plot material of the earlier releases, it contains enough of human interest to 'get by' easily with most audiences." Variety concluded that it was "a sweet wholesome picture with little touches of sentiment interwoven that tug at the heart strings, a feature that provides clean, pleasurable entertainment."
- Bryant Washburn as William Manning Skinner
- Hazel Daly as Honey
- James C. Carroll as McLaughlin
- U.K. Haupt as Perkins
- Jackie Coogan as the baby (uncredited)
- Lahue, Kalton C. Gentlemen to the Rescue, p. 231 (1972) ("It was in 1917 feature hits like Skinner's Dress Suit, Skinner's Baby, and Skinner Steps Out (adapted from a popular series of stories by Henry Dodge) that Bryant really scored big ...")
- "Gallery of Photo Players". Motion Picture Magazine. New York: Brewster Publications. March 1918. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- (20 April 1918). What the Picture Did for Me - Kleine, Motography, p. 737
- Cary, Dianna Serra. Jackie Coogan: The World's Boy King, p. 20 (2003)
- Soll, Rick (28 March 1974). Coogan not 'Kid' anymore, but he cling to past, Chicago Tribune
- M'Elliott, Mabel (1 August 1917). Largely Fun, and Very Light is "Skinner's Baby", Chicago Daily Tribune (review)
- Early American Cinema, p. 24 (1994 ed.)
- (21 July 1917). In "Skinner's Baby" They Find, After All, It's a Girl, Motion Picture News
- (25 August 1917). Advertisement, Motion Picture News
- (11 August 1917). Bryant Washburn in "Skinner's Baby" (review), Exhibitor's Herald, p. 25
- (11 August 1917). Current Releases Reviews, Motography
- Samuel, O.M. (3 August 1917) Film Review - Skinner's Baby, Variety, p. 23