Gustav Silberer (aka G. Sil-Vara) was a journalist for Neue Freie Presse and a colleague of Theodor Herzl, who was impressed by his work and provided him with encouragement early on in his career.
In 1912, while living in London, he and Charles H. Fisher adapted The Playboy of the Western World as Der Held des Westerlands and had it published by Georg Müller and performed at Max Reinhardt's Kammerspiele, Berlin, at the Neue Wiener Bühne in Vienna and at the Stadttheater in Münster.
A contemporary review of Englische Staatsmänner states that it was clear he had spent time in London and had close relations with the political figures he describes. The Vossische Zeitung "Aunt Voss" observes that readers would agreeably surprised to find Asquith, Curzon, Viscount Grey and Churchill treated "not as enemies but as men". His play Ein Tag: Lustspiel in Drei Akten, adapted by theatre director Philip Moeller as Caprice, had a successful run in 1929 at New York's Theatre Guild, then elsewhere.
- Londoner Spaziergänge 1914
- Ein Wiener Landsturmmann: Kriegstagebuchaufzeichnungen Aus Galizien 1915
- Englische Staatsmänner (1916) biographies of Asquith, Balfour, Chamberlain, Churchill, Curzon, Bonar Law, Kitchener, Lloyd-George, Rosebery, Parnell and others.
- Die Gitana. Szenen aus dem spanischen Leben um 1830 1916 illustrated by Erhard Amadeus
- Briefe aus der Gefangenschaft 1917
- Es geht weiter: Eine Nacht und ein Epilog 1919
- Warum kommt der Friede nicht zustande 1932
- Der Held der westlichen Welt or Der Held des Westerlands adaptation (with Charles H. Fisher) of J. M. Synge's The Playboy of the Western World 1912
- Ein Tag: Lustspiel in drei Akten 1914
- Mädchenjahre einer Königin. Komödie in acht Bildern 1933
Awards and commemoration
- Melancholy Pride: Nation, Race, and Gender in the German Literature of Cultural Zionism, Mark Gelber
- At Herzl's Grave, The Burial of a Leader - and Other Memories, G. Gil-Vara, Theodor Herzl: A Memorial, ed. Meir W. Weisgal, New York, 1929
- Fisher, Charles H.; Silberer, Geza; Synge, J. M. (1 January 1912). "Der Held des Westerlands: (The playboy of the western world) Komödie in drei Akten". G. Müller. Retrieved 30 July 2016 – via The Open Library.
- Bourgeois, Maurice John Millington Synge and the Irish theatre p.18
- "Germany Day by Day" Kalgoorlie Argus 7 November 1916 p.1,2
- "New comedy at Independent" Sydney Morning Herald 8 January 1944 p.11
- "The Story of Vickie". 10 October 1955. Retrieved 30 July 2016 – via IMDb.
- "Döblinger Strassennamen Herkunft und Bedeutung S". Retrieved 30 July 2016.