|Publisher||St. Martin's Griffin|
|Media type||Print (Paperback) also Audio Book|
|Pages||368 pp (paperback edition)|
|ISBN||0-312-32466-9 (paperback edition)|
|LC Class||PS3566.I316 S55 2004|
The novel is the story of two friends, Miles and Jack, who take a road trip to the Santa Ynez Valley AVA a week before Jack plans to marry. Miles is a recently divorced wine aficionado who struggles to publish his novels. Jack is a charismatic television director who is determined to engage in a short affair before his marriage.
In 2004, the novel was made into a film, Sideways, directed by Alexander Payne. The film received critical acclaim, and won the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay in addition to being nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor (Haden Church) and Best Supporting Actress (Madsen).
A self-published sequel to the original novel entitled Vertical and written by Rex Pickett was released in September 2010. Payne has indicated that he is not interested in directing a sequel to the film based on Vertical. Fox Searchlight owns the rights to the characters, but Payne's lack of interest makes the film a non-starter for Fox.
Stage and musical adaptions
In 2019 it was announced that Sideways was scheduled to adapted into a Broadway musical. A play adapted by Rex Pickett from the Sideways novel was produced at multiple theaters in the United States and the United Kingdom, including at the La Jolla Playhouse.
In addition to the musical, it was reported that Rex Pickett had written screenplays based on his two Sideways sequels already in print, Vertical and Sideways 3 Chile.
- Burkeman, Oliver (1 February 2005). "Taste of success". The Guardian.
- Dargis, Manohla (October 16, 2004). "Popping the Cork for a Twist on a So-Called Life". The New York Times.
- Dargis, Manohla (2004-10-16). "Popping the Cork for a Twist on a So-Called Life". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-02-24.
- Mercer, Chris. "Sideways 2 film unlikely, says author". Decanter.com. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Author of megahit Sideways Rex Pickett sets new book in Chile". Thisischile.cl. 27 November 2012.
- Rooney, David (May 2, 2019). "'Sideways' in Development as Broadway Musical". The Hollywood Reporter.