|First official recorded||192 AD|
|As city settled for Akamazeki||April 1, 1889|
|Current city's name changed||June 1, 1902|
|• Mayor||Shintaro Maeda (since 2017)|
|• Total||716.14 km2 (276.50 sq mi)|
(October 1, 2016)
|• Density||370/km2 (960/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+09:00 (JST)|
|City hall address||1-1 Nanbu, Shimonoseki-shi, Yamaguchi-ken|
Shimonoseki (Japanese: 下関市, Hepburn: Shimonoseki-shi) is a city located in Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan. With a population of 265,684, it is the largest city in Yamaguchi Prefecture and the fifth-largest city in the Chūgoku region. It is located at the southwestern tip of Honshu facing the Tsushima Strait at the entrance to the Kanmon Straits (also known as the Straits of Shimonoseki) across from the city of Kitakyushu and the island of Kyushu. It is nicknamed[by whom?] the "Fugu Capital" for the locally caught pufferfish, and is the largest harvester of the pufferfish in Japan.
The geographical position of Shimonoseki has given it historical importance. The Heike and Genji fought at Dan-no-ura near the present Kanmon Bridge. In February 1691, German explorer Engelbert Kaempfer visited the town as part of his two-year stay in Japan, and described it has having around 400 to 500 houses, and as a major port in the region for supplying ship provisions. The Bombardment of Shimonoseki occurred in 1864, and the Treaty of Shimonoseki was signed there in 1895, seeing a defeated China hand over Taiwan, Penghu, and Port Arthur to the victorious Japanese.
On February 13, 2005, Shimonoseki absorbed the towns of Hōhoku, Kikugawa, Toyota and Toyoura (all from Toyoura District) to create the new and expanded city of Shimonseki. Since October 1, 2005, the city has been designated as a core city by the Japanese Government.
|Climate data for Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi|
|Average high °C (°F)||8.5
|Daily mean °C (°F)||5.8
|Average low °C (°F)||3.4
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||73.5
|Average snowfall cm (inches)||5
|Average relative humidity (%)||65||66||68||73||75||80||82||78||76||70||69||66||72|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||89.7||106.1||165.9||176.0||200.7||159.0||183.0||213.2||164.4||177.6||132.2||100.0||1,867.8|
|Source: NOAA (1961-1990)|
This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2021)
Ferries from Shimonoseki Port International Terminal
- The Kanpu ferry to Busan, South Korea regularly.
- The Gwangyang Beech to Gwangyang, South Korea regularly.
- The Orient ferry to Shanghai, China regularly.
- The Orient ferry to Qingdao, China was suspended in November 2015.
- The main Shinkansen station
- The main JR West stations
- San'yō Main Line
- San'in Main Line
Regular bus services are provided by Sanden Kohtsu, as well as by group companies of Sanden Kohtsu.
- Bus companies (A loop-line bus in the city.)
- Sanden Kohtsu Co.,Ltd.
- Blue Line Kohtsu Co.,Ltd.
- Intercity bus services (arrival and departure in Shimonoseki city) go to the following destinations: Tokyo, Osaka, Kobe, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Fukuoka Airport, etc.
- Shimonoseki interchange
- Ozuki interchange
- Ozuki Bypass
- Shimonoseki-Kita Bypass
Shimonoseki is served by four airports outside the city.
Universities and colleges
- National Fisheries University (水産大学校, Suisan daigakkō) (Yoshimi)
- Shimonoseki City University (Daigaku-cho)
- University of East Asia (Shin-Shimonoseki Station)
- Baiko Gakuin University (Higashieki)
- Shimonoseki Junior College (Sakurayama-cho)
Primary and secondary schools
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2015)
The city has a North Korean school, Yamaguchi Korean Elementary and Junior High School (山口朝鮮初中級学校). It formerly housed two other North Korean schools, Yamaguchi Korean High School and Shimonoseki Korean Elementary and Junior High School (下関朝鮮初中級学校).
Shimonoseki is home to many festivals that are held throughout the year. Of these, the most famous are Shimonoseki Kaikyo Festival and Shimonoseki Bakan Festival.
- Shimonoseki Fugu (Blowfish) Festival (February) : Haedomari Market
- Kawatana Onsen(hot spring) Festival (April)
- Shimonoseki Kaikyo Festival (May) : Karato, Ganryujima Island
- Suhouteisai Festival (August) : Castle town Chofu
- Kanmon Kaikyo Fireworks Festival (August) : Karato(Aruka Port area)
- Shimonoseki Bakan Festival (August) : Along the street from Karato-cho to Shimonoseki Station
- TOUR de Shimonoseki (October/November)
- Shimonoseki Kaikyo Marathon (November)
- Shimonoseki Fish Festival (November) : Shimonoseki Fishing Port
- Little Busan Fest (November) : Green Mall
- Kōzan-ji - The butsuden completed in 1320 is a National Treasure of Japan.
- Akama Shrine
- Kaikyō Yume Tower
- Shimonoseki City Art Museum
- Shimonoseki Chofu Museum
- Shimonoseki City Archaeological Museum
- Shimonoseki Marine Science Museum (Shimonoseki City Aquarium) (Kaikyo Kan)
- Doigahama Site Anthropological Museum
- The firefly museum of toyota town
- The Yamagin Archive (やまぎん史料館) of the Yamaguchi Bank
- The Mimosusogawa Park (みもすそ川公園) in Shimonoseki commemorates the final stage of the Genpei war between the feudal Taira clan and Minamoto clan (1180–1185). There is a historical monument with cannons.
- Shimonoseki Baseball Stadium
- Shimonoseki Boat Race Stadium (Shimonoseki Kyōtei)
- Shimonoseki City Gymnasium
- Shimonoseki Track and field stadium
- Shimonoseki city swimming pool
- Nogihama General Park (Football stadium)
Crime and safety
Twin towns – sister cities
- Kaempfer, Engelbert (1729). Histoire naturelle, civile et ecclésiastique de l'Empire du Japon. Tome 2 (translated by François Naudé) (in French). The Hague. p. 176.
- US Department of State. (1906). A digest of international law as embodied in diplomatic discussions, treaties and other international agreements (John Bassett Moore, ed.), Vol. 5, p. 759.
- "Shimonoseki Climate Normals 1961-1990". National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- オリエントフェリー運航一時休止について（お知らせ） (PDF). Archived from the original on 2016-02-07.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- ウリハッキョ一覧. Chongryon. Retrieved October 14, 2015. (Archive).
- ウリハッキョ一覧. Chongryon. November 6, 2005. Archived from the original on October 14, 2015. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- 下関市内小中学校 - 山口県下関市(教育委員会) (in Japanese). City of Shimonoseki Education Committee. Retrieved 2020-01-08.
- http://www.shimosho.ed.jp/wordpress/ Shimonoseki Commercial High School
- "The 7th President announces the succession, The Goda-ikka, The Prefectural Police on red alert", 21 October 2009, Yamaguchi Shimbun (in Japanese)
- "姉妹友好都市". city.shimonoseki.lg.jp (in Japanese). Shimonoseki. Retrieved 2020-04-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi.|
- Shimonoseki City official website (in Japanese)
- Shimonoseki City official website in other languages
- Shimonoseki travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Geographic data related to Shimonoseki at OpenStreetMap
- The American Cyclopædia. 1879. .
- Shimonoseki City Tourism Promotion Film Shimonoseki City Official Channel