Sheila Ford Hamp
Sheila Firestone Ford
1951 (age 69-70)
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
|Education||Yale University (BA)|
Boston University (MA)
|Occupation||Businesswoman and sports franchise owner|
|Known for||Principal owner and chairwoman of the Detroit Lions|
Sheila Firestone Ford Hamp (born 1951) is an American businesswoman and football executive. A descendant of both the Ford and Firestone family fortunes, she is the principal owner and chairwoman of the Detroit Lions of the National Football League (NFL). Hamp graduated from Yale University in 1973, where she played varsity tennis. Hamp has an MA in teaching and early childhood education from Boston University. Hamp serves on the NFL’s Super Bowl and Major Events Committee.
Early life and education
Sheila Ford was born to parents William Clay Ford Sr., son of Edsel Ford and grandson of Henry Ford, and Martha Firestone Ford, of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company fortune, in 1951. She earned a bachelor's degree from Yale in 1973, where she was among the first class that included women. She received a master's degree in teaching and early childhood education from Boston University. Ford competed in tennis while at Yale and won a Michigan state championship in high school.
Ford Hamp has been involved in the management of the Detroit Lions since her mother took over the team in 2014. In 2015, Ford Hamp was involved in the decision to fire Tom Lewand and Martin Mayhew. In 2019, she was involved in the retention of general manager Bob Quinn and head coach Matt Patricia. On June 23, 2020, Ford Hamp took over from her mother as principal owner and chairwoman. Her first major move after taking over as principal owner of the Lions was to fire Quinn and Patricia on November 28, 2020 after a 4–7 start to the 2020 season.
Ford Hamp is married to Steve Hamp and lives with her husband and three children in Ann Arbor.
- Andrew Kahn (2020-06-23). "Sheila Ford Hamp: 5 things to know about the new Detroit Lions owner". mlive. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- Evan Petzold (June 23, 2020). "Who is Sheila Ford Hamp? Meet the Detroit Lions' new owner, tennis champion and Yale grad". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- Chengelis, Angelique S. "Meet Sheila Ford Hamp, sports fan, former junior tennis standout, owner of Detroit Lions". Detroit News. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- "Lions owner Ford steps down, daughter takes over". ESPN.com. 2020-06-23. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- "Martha Firestone Ford to step down as principal owner of Detroit Lions". www.detroitlions.com. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- Dave Birkett (June 23, 2020). "Sheila Ford Hamp replaces mother, Martha Firestone Ford, as Lions owner, chairman". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- Dave Birkett (December 18, 2019). "Lions gamble keeping Quinn & Patricia, but Sheila Ford Hamp is reason to believe it may work". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- "Languishing Lions fire coach Patricia, GM Quinn". ESPN.com. November 28, 2020. Retrieved November 29, 2020.
- "Detroit Lions fire head coach Matt Patricia, general manager Bob Quinn". NFL.com. November 28, 2020. Retrieved November 28, 2020.