Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord
|Location||228 North 12th Street|
Brooklyn, New York City
|Architectural style||Russian Byzantine|
|NRHP reference No.||80002638|
|Added to NRHP||April 16, 1980|
|Designated NYCL||November 19, 1969|
Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord is a historic Russian Orthodox cathedral at 228 North 12th Street in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York City. The cathedral was designated a New York City landmark by the Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1969, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
History and description
The cathedral was built from 1916 to 1921 and was designed by Louis Allmendiger. The plan is based on a Greek cross and is designed in the Russian version of the Byzantine style, but with a Renaissance flavor. The building features characteristic copper Onion domes atop four octagonal belfries and a large central copper-covered dome. Each dome is topped by a large, gilded Russian Orthodox cross.
The building's facade is constructed from yellow bricks with a small amount of trim made from stone. The windows and doors are primarily round-arched, with stairs leading to the front entrance.
In popular culture
- List of New York City Designated Landmarks in Brooklyn
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kings County, New York
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- Norval White and Elliot Willensky, AIA Guide to New York City, rev. ed., (New York: Collier Books, 1978), p.470.
- Frandsen, Bradley; Olshansky, John R. & Spencer-Ralph, Elizabeth (December 1979). "National Register of Historic Places Registration:Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2011-02-20. See also: "Accompanying four photos".
- Staff (November 19, 1969) "Russian Orthodix Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Designation Report" New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord.|