Roxana Stinchfield Ferris
Roxana Judkins Stinchfield
April 13, 1895
|Died||June 30, 1978|
|Spouse(s)||Gordon Floyd Ferris (1893–1958)|
Roxana ("Roxy") Judkins Stinchfield Ferris (April 13, 1895 – June 30, 1978) was an American botanist.
In 1916, Stinchfield Ferris earned a Master of Arts in Botany at Stanford University with advisor and mentor, LeRoy Abrams and afterwards she joined the staff of the Dudley Herbarium at Stanford, collecting thousands of botanical specimens for the research collection there. She specialized in collecting Phanerogams, and the botany of California and Mexico. Stinchfield Ferris retired from the Dudley Herbarium in 1963, and died in Palo Alto in 1978.
- The trees and shrubs of western Oregon
- An Illustrated Flora of the Pacific States (as co-editor)
- Death Valley Wildflowers
- Flowers of Point Reyes National Seashore
- Native Shrubs of the San Francisco Bay Region
- New Combinations in Aster
Species named in honor
Several species have been named in honor of Ferris including
- Astragalus tener var. ferrisiae - Ferris's milk-vetch
- Eremogone ferrisiae - Ferris's sandwort
- Lasthenia ferrisiae - Ferris's goldfields
- Tracy L. Morris. "Roxana Judkins STINCHFIELD". STINCHFIELD/STANCHFIELD Family Research. RootsWeb. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Marsha Bryant. "Stinchfield, Daniel". First Families in Vanderburgh, IN. Vanderburgh INGenWeb. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Roxana Judkins Stinchfield Ferris (1895-1978)". Smithsonian Institution Archives. 2011-09-14. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Ferris, Roxana Stinchfield". Harvard University Herbaria & Libraries Index of Botanists. Harvard University. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Timby, Sara. "The Dudley Herbarium, Including a Case Study of Terman's Restructuring of the Biology Department" (PDF). Stanford University. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Abrams, Le Roy; Ferris, Roxana S. (1923). An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. v.1 (1923). Stanford University: Stanford University Press.
- California Botanical Society.; Society, California Botanical (1959–1960). Madroño; a West American journal of botany. v.15:no.1–8 (1959:Jan.-1960:Oct.). Berkeley: California Botanical Society.
- Liston, Aaron (April 1990). "Taxonomic Notes on Astragalus Section Leptocarpi Subsection Californici (Fabaceae)". Brittonia. 42 (2): 100–104. doi:10.2307/2807621. JSTOR 2807621. S2CID 38799224.
- "Eremogone ferrisiae". ucjeps.berkeley.edu. Retrieved 2019-03-13.
- IPNI. Ferris.
- Brief biography on JSTOR
- The trees and shrubs of western Oregon at WorldCat
- Works by or about Roxana Stinchfield Ferris at Internet Archive