This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2020)
|Created by||Delia Fiallo|
|Based on||María Teresa|
by Grazio D' Angelo
|Story by||Delia Fiallo|
|Theme music composer||José Antonio "Potro" Farías|
|Opening theme||"Rosalinda" by Thalía|
|Country of origin||Mexico|
|No. of episodes||80|
|Executive producer||Salvador Mejía Alejandre|
|Production locations||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Editor||Marco Antonio Rocha|
|Original network||Canal de las Estrellas|
|Original release||March 1 –|
June 18, 1999
|Preceded by||El privilegio de amar|
|Followed by||Infierno en el paraíso|
|Related shows||Primavera (1987)|
Rosalinda is a Mexican telenovela produced by Salvador Mejía Alejandre for Televisa in 1999. It is a remake the telenovela Angélica on 1985. Thalía, Fernando Carrillo and Angélica María star as the main protagonists, while Lupita Ferrer stars as the main antagonist.
This was the last telenovela wherein Thalía starred in (to focus on her rising music career at that time). Rosalinda remains as the most expensive television production in Mexico, as well as the all-time most exported and most watched single telenovela in the world, as it was broadcast in Mexico and more than 180 countries worldwide to 2 billion viewers by 2000. It also aired in the Philippines on October 21, 2019, replacing the Philippine TV Series Nang Ngumiti ang Langit, and was replaced by Almost Paradise (TV series).
Rosalinda is a pretty woman who sells flowers and decorates a fancy restaurant. One day, she meets Fernando José, a man of high social status. He plays the piano at the restaurant. They eventually fall in love, get married, and have a child named Erika, but his stepmother Valeria desires to split the happy couple up, and she has the perfect way of doing so.
Rosalinda's real mother, Soledad, served a 20-year prison sentence for the murder of Fernando José's real father. She was innocent, but took the blame. After finding out this horrible news, Fernando José abandons Rosalinda and her daughter. Valeria kidnaps Erika. Rosalinda goes into a clinical and eventually loses her mind. She is locked up in a mental hospital.
One night, the mental hospital catches fire and burns down. Rosalinda manages to escape, but her loved ones are convinced she is dead. Suffering from a major case of amnesia, she is forced to become a thief by an old man who takes her in. She meets Alejandro "Alex" Dorantes while trying to steal from his house. Alex cleans her up and she takes on the identity of Paloma Dorantes and becomes a singer. She falls in love with Alex, the talent agent who makes her famous. Meanwhile, Fernando José marries Rosalinda's cousin, Fedra.
Rosalinda's life with Alex seems to be going well. However, things just don't seem to be totally right. One night, Rosalinda and Alex attend one of Fernando Jose's concerts. He plays a song which happens to be the first one he played the day they met. This seems to trigger Rosalinda's memory of her past. Overwhelmed by these memories, Rosalinda scurries out of the concert hall and gets hit by a car. Alex rushes her to the hospital. It is then that Rosalinda realizes that she is not Paloma, but Rosalinda. Now that Rosalinda has gained her memory back, she must go back and fight to gain her child back, her family, and Fernando Jose in the process.
- Thalía as Rosalinda Pérez Romero/Rosalinda del Castillo de Altamirano / Paloma Dοrantes
- Fernando Carrillo as Fernando José Altamirano del Castillo
- Angélica María as Soledad Martha Romero
- Lupita Ferrer as Doña Valeria Del Castillo
- Nora Salinas as Fedra Pérez Romero
- Adriana Fonseca as Lucía Pérez Romero
- Elvira Monsell as Bertha Álvarez
- Jorge De Silva as Roberto "Beto" Pérez Romero
- René Muñoz as Florentino Rosas
- Eduardo Luna as Aníbal Eduardo Rivera Pacheco
- Víctor Noriega as Alejandro "Alex" Dorantes
- Miguel Ángel Rodríguez as Javier Pérez
- Anastasia as Alcira Ordóñez
- Ninón Sevilla as Asunción
- Renata Flores as Zoila Barriga
- Alejandro Ávila as Gerardo Navarette
- Laura Zapata as Verónica Del Castillo de Altamirano
- Ivonne Montero as Celina Barriga
- Guillermo García Cantú as José Fernando Altamirano
- Susana González as Luz Elena
- Sabine Moussier as Cristina
- Queta Lavat as the prison director
Awards and nominations
|2000||18th TVyNovelas Awards||Best Antagonist Actress||Nora Salinas||Nominated|
|Best Leading Actress||Angélica María||Nominated|
|Best Leading Actor||Roberto "Flaco" Guzmán||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Manuel Saval||Nominated|
|Best Young Lead Actress||Ivonne Montero||Nominated|
|Best Female Revelation||Jorge de Silva||Nominated|
|Country||TV Channels||Local Title|
People's Television Network
In 2009, GMA Network produce a Philippine adaptation of the series starring Carla Abellana as Rosalinda and Geoff Eigenmann as Fernando Jose. Rosalinda premiered on July 6, 2009 on the network's Telebabad primetime block and ended on November 27, 2009 with a total of 105 episodes.
- Espectáculos (August 23, 2020). "Rosalinda: ¿cuánto cambiaron los protagonistas de la recordada telenovela mexicana?". Espectáculos (in Spanish).
- Rodarte, Jorge (November 5, 2020). "Thalía es imitada por su sobrina Camila Sodi y habla igualito que ella". Debate (in Spanish).
Thalia, protagonist of other telenovelas like Rosalinda...
- Anarcon, James Patrick (May 29, 2020). "Ratings Throwback: Record-breaking Thalia telenovelas on Philippine TV".