|Full name||Roniel Iglesias Sotolongo|
|Born||August 14, 1988|
Pinar del Río, Cuba
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||69 kg (152 lb)|
Roniel Iglesias Sotolongo (born August 14, 1988) is a Cuban amateur boxer, best known for winning the junior world title at lightweight in 2006, a bronze medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing and a gold at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
In 2005, Iglesias won the national (senior) flyweight title as a 16-year-old when Olympic champion Yuriorkis Gamboa was out injured. He beat future two-time champ Yoandri Salinas and then Karel Luis in the final. However, the more experienced Andry Laffita who had competed at junior flyweight was sent to the world championships.
In 2006, he competed in January at the national (senior) championships at bantamweight and lost in the semifinal to Idel Torriente, in September he had put on 6 more kilograms and won the 2006 world title at lightweight in Agadir, Morocco. In the quarterfinals he beat Éverton Lopes and then Kazach Azamat Smagulov in the final.
In 2007 he lost at the national senior championships to world champion Yordenis Ugás at lightweight.
In 2008 he won the junior welter national senior championship, he beat Richard Poll 12:9 in the final and was sent to the Olympic qualifier in Trinidad where he beat another teenager Javier Molina in the semifinal to qualify for the 2008 Summer Olympics where he lost his semi to defending champion Manus Boonjumnong.
In 2009 he lost in the final of the national championships to former lightweight star Yordenis Ugás 9:12 but was sent to the 2009 World Amateur Boxing Championships anyway where he won against the youngster Frankie Gomez.
- Beijing 2008 Olympic results
- Defeated Mahaman Smaila (Cameroon) 15-1
- Defeated Driss Moussaid (Morocco) 15-4
- Defeated Gennady Kovalev (Russia) 5-2
- Lost to Manus Boonjumnong (Thailand) 5-10
- London 2012 Olympic results
- Defeated Cesar Villarraga Aldana (Colombia) 20-9
- Defeated Everton Dos Santos Lopes (Brazil) 18-15
- Defeated Uktamjon Rahmonov (Uzbekistan) 21-15
- Defeated Vincenzo Mangiacapre (Italy) 15-8
- Defeated Denys Berinchyk (Ukraine) 22-15
- "44.Playa Giron (Cuban National Championships) - Pinar del Rio - January 23-30 2005 (Iglesias is Rosniel Iglesias throughout)". amateur-boxing.strefa.pl. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
- "WorldJuniorChamps2006". amateur-boxing.strefa.pl. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
- Martín, Raiko (27 January 2008). "El jovencito Julio Cruz obtuvo el título en la división semicompleta del certamen - Deportes - Juventud Rebelde - Diario de la Juventud Cubana". juventudrebelde.cu. Archived from the original on 25 October 2008. Retrieved 3 September 2017.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill; et al. "Roniel Iglesias". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 2020-04-17. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
- "Cuban Iglesias captures welterweight gold". Washington Post. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- "Rio 2016 - Men's Welter (69kg)". Rio2016.com. 13 August 2016. Archived from the original on 2 September 2016. Retrieved 3 September 2016.