A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (June 2017)
|Headquarters||Romsey, United Kingdom|
|Paul MacGregor, Managing Director|
Ian Cooper, Finance Director
Number of employees
|Approximately 600 (2020)|
|Parent||Chemring Group PLC|
Roke Manor Research Limited is a British company based at Roke Manor near Romsey, Hampshire, which conducts research and development under contract in the fields of communications, networks, and electronic sensors. In addition to supporting its parent Chemring, work is also conducted in both the public and private sectors. The company also created Hawk-Eye, which is now used widely in sports such as tennis, football, and cricket.
- 1956 – Founded as Plessey Research Roke Manor Limited by the Plessey company. The first managing director was Harold J. Finden, an electrical engineer at Plessey.
- 1990 – Passed to GEC-Siemens AG in a joint takeover.
- 1991 – Became wholly owned by Siemens AG when GEC sold their 50% shareholding to Siemens Plessey Electronic Systems.
- 2010 – Roke was acquired by the Chemring Group PLC.
The Roke Manor site is based around a manor house which dates in part from 1653. The 22-acre (8.9 ha) grounds had a walled garden, stable block and cottages when bought by Plessey in 1956, but since then all buildings except the house have been demolished and most of the grounds covered by buildings and car parks.
- 1960 – Working prototype memory systems developed for the supercomputer, Atlas.
- 1975 – Designed and developed the world's first monolithic gallium arsenide microwave circuit.
- 1995 – Work began on the Hostile Artillery LOcation system (HALO), an acoustic locator of guns and mortars. HALO was developed to monitor ceasefire violations in the Yugoslav wars, and is in use with the British Army and other nations.
- 2000 – Won the 2000 Worldaware Innovation Award for work on land mine clearance.
- 2001 – Developed the Hawk-Eye vision-based ball tracking system.
- RESOLVE – an electronic warfare manpack system for the intercept, geolocation and exploitation of tactical communications signals within the HF to SHF bands. In 2011 RESOLVE won a Queen's Award for Enterprise and Innovation.
- Vigilance – a wide area multilateration system for tracking aircraft. Users include Eurocontrol, in support of RVSM.
- Miniature Radar Altimeters (MRA) – a range of MRA products primarily designed for use on airborne targets and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
- Epsilon – a software tool designed to predict the radar cross section (RCS) of a target directly from its geometrical description.
- LOCATE – a suite of integrated products for spectrum monitoring, direction finding, adaptive beamforming and geolocation of HF signals.
- "Roke Manor Research – Chemring Group PLC". www.chemring.co.uk. Chemring Group PLC. 2012. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- "About Hawk-Eye". Hawk-Eye Innovations Ltd. Archived from the original on 28 January 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "History of Roke". www.roke.co.uk. Roke Manor Research Limited. 2009. Archived from the original on 6 July 2009. Retrieved 6 July 2009.
- Wilson, Amy (11 August 2010). "Chemring buys Roke from Siemens". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Completion of acquisition of Roke". Chemring Group PLC. 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Our locations". Roke. Retrieved 7 June 2021.
- Raper, Anthony C. (1988). "History of Roke Manor, Romsey" (PDF). romseynet.org.uk. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016.
- "Roke Manor". Parks & Gardens. Retrieved 7 June 2021.
- "Recalling Early GaAs MMIC Developments". Microwaves & RF. March 2009. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Hostile Artillery LOcation (HALO) System". Jane's Information Group. 18 August 2008. Retrieved 16 August 2010. Jane's Military Communications
- "The Worldaware Award 2000 for Innovation". Worldaware. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- Hughes, Simon (15 November 2000). "How's that then for hi-tech?". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- Owens, N., Harris, C., Stennett, C. (2003). "Hawk-eye tennis system". International Conference on Visual Information Engineering, 2003. VIE 2003.
- "RESOLVE tactical EW manpack system". Jane's Information Group. 3 August 2011. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "Roke Electronic Warfare System Wins Queen's Award for Enterprise". Roke Manor Research Limited. 21 April 2011. Archived from the original on 9 July 2011. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- "A List of the 2011 and Previous Winners of The Queen's Award for Innovation" (PDF). Business Link. 21 April 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 20 July 2011. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- Harman, Martin (September 2006). "More Room On Top". Engineering & Technology. IET.
- "Roke MRA receives ingress protection certification". Shephard Press Limited. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "LOCATE – Strategic HF Signals Intelligence". Roke Manor Research Limited. Retrieved 24 June 2011.