|Markets||United States, Canada|
The brand was introduced in 1960 by The Gillette Company as the first aerosol deodorant. The Procter & Gamble Company acquired Gillette in 2005 and sold the Right Guard brand to The Dial Corporation, a subsidiary of Henkel, in 2006.
Right Guard targets sports enthusiasts, as portrayed through its advertising from the late 1980s to the late 1990s.
From 1969 to 1976, commercials featured a man looking into a mirror to see another man looking back. Chuck McCann played the energetic man who says, "Hi, guy!", looking back at the confused man (played by Bill Fiore), who yells, "Mona!" The BBDO campaign began with the need to show two different cans of Right Guard, one the traditional product, and the other with a more advanced formula.
Gillette's "Cool Spray" form factor (introduced in 2004) sprayed deodorant vertically from the top of a rounded cylinder upon depression of a side-mounted trigger. No protective cap was needed; a twist-motion procedure locked and unlocked the contents. The form, by design firm Herbst Lazar Bell, won the 2005 personal care award at The Institute of Packaging Professionals' AmeriStar packaging awards. The form was discontinued in 2012.
Right Guard comes in the forms of invisible solid, deodorant stick, clear gel, and aerosol. It used to come in a clear stick, but this appears to have been discontinued by the manufacturer without notice.
Right Guard has three sub-brands: Best Dressed Collection, Xtreme Defense, and Sport.
- "Old Spice's Extreme Makeover". Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Antiperspirant/Deodorant Stick: History". How Products Are Made. Retrieved 2006-09-06.
- "Dial Agrees to Buy P&G Deodorant Brands". Pierce Mattie Public Relations New York Blog. Retrieved 2006-09-06.
- Lippert, Barbara (May 14, 2018). "The Mirror Has Two Faces". Advertising Age. 89 (12): 40.
- Dusenberry, Phil (2006). One Great Insight Is Worth a Thousand Good Ideas. Portfolio Trade. ISBN 978-1591841425.
- "Star Packages Shine in IoPP Awards". Archived from the original on 2011-01-18. Retrieved 2013-06-26.