|Location||Rideau Street, Ottawa, Ontario|
|Owned by||OC Transpo|
|Opened||September 14, 2019|
Originally, Rideau station was to be built under the Rideau Canal, with a station at Confederation Square, closer to Parliament Hill. It was decided to relocate the station to the east in partnership with Cadillac Fairview, the owners of the Rideau Centre, where it would serve more people and provide access to the ByWard Market.
The station serves destinations such as the ByWard Market, National Gallery, US Embassy, Shaw Centre, Government Conference Centre, Rideau Canal, National War Memorial, Château Laurier and National Arts Centre, as well as retail shops, restaurants and hotels.
Rideau is an underground side platform station. Two concourses located above the two ends of the platforms contain the ticket barriers and give access to the Rideau Centre (west concourse) and the William Street/ByWard Market exit (east concourse). Both concourses feature elevators to the surface and the platforms.
The station is the deepest on Ottawa's network, with the platform 26.5 metres underground. It also has the longest transit escalator in Canada at 35.3 metres.
The station features two artworks: FLOW/FLOTS by Geneviève Cadieux, a set of two glass screens on the station concourses overlooking the platforms; and The shape this takes to get to that by Jim Verburg, a set of murals in the access stairwells. Additionally, an exhibition area called "Corridor 45|75" is located along the corridor connecting the west concourse with the access to the Rideau Centre.
The following routes serve Rideau station as of December 20 2020:
|300s: Shopper routes|
400s: Event routes
600s: School routes
|A Rideau St. West|
|B Rideau St. East|
|C Sussex Dr. North|
|D Rideau St. West|
- Watson, Jim (August 23, 2019). "Line 1 opens on Sept. 14". octranspo.com. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- "Downtown LRT Stations" (PDF). OC Transpo. 2013. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
- Joanne Chianello (15 July 2015). "Rideau Centre strikes gold with LRT station". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
- Joanne Chianello (12 May 2015). "Downtown LRT stations to be integrated into buildings". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
there are actually three entrances at Rideau station
- "Rideau". Confederation Line. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "5 things: Confederation Line LRT will have the longest transit escalator in Canada". ottawacitizen.
- "O-Train Confederation Line". City of Ottawa. Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- "Corridor 45|75". City of Ottawa. Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- "Rideau | OC Transpo". Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- "Massive sinkhole closes Rideau Street in downtown Ottawa". CBC News. 8 June 2016. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
Workers were excavating the last 50 metres of the station when the road fell in