Restraint: A New Foundation for U.S. Grand Strategy is a book that was written by Dr. Barry Posen and published in 2014 by Cornell University Press. Posen is the Ford International Professor of Political Science and director of the Security Studies Program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
Posen defines grand strategy as "a state's 'theory about how to produce security for itself.'" Posen describes the current debate about American grand strategy as being between two main philosophies: liberal hegemony and restraint.
The first half of the book addresses liberal hegemony. Liberal hegemony is defined as "an activist grand strategy that aims to assertively maintain U.S. dominance and the 'unipolar moment' in the service of liberalism and national security," Posen argues that liberal hegemony is the grand strategy that the United States has followed since the end of the Cold War and that it has been a failure, calling it "unnecessary, counterproductive, costly, and wasteful."
In the second half of the book, Posen explains why restraint would be a better grand strategy to follow than liberal hegemony. He details what the strategy would look like and what sort of military would be needed to achieve this.
International Relations scholars Hugo Meijer and Stephen G. Brooks have challenged Posen's claim that Europe will develop its own capable defense forces if the U.S. withdrew from Europe.
- "Restraint, A New Foundation for U.S. Grand Strategy (Barry R. Posen)". Cornell University Press. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- Ruger, William (26 August 2014). "A Realist's Guide to Grand Strategy". The American Conservative. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- Meijer, Hugo; Brooks, Stephen G. (2021-04-20). "Illusions of Autonomy: Why Europe Cannot Provide for Its Security If the United States Pulls Back". International Security. 45 (4): 7–43. doi:10.1162/isec_a_00405. ISSN 0162-2889.
- The Case for Restraint - American Interest article
- A Realist's Guide to Grand Strategy - book review in The American Conservative
- Restraint: A New Foundation for U.S. Grand Strategy - book event with the Cato Institute
- A New U.S. Grand Strategy - op-ed in The Boston Review by Barry Posen
- America Doesn't Need to Lead the Free World - Interview in The Atlantic with Barry Posen about his book
- A New Foundation for U.S. Grand Strategy - book event with the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
- The Moral Argument for American Restraint - in Iraq and Beyond - The Atlantic review of the book