|Jurisdiction||Government of Hong Kong|
|Headquarters||26/F, Fairmont House, 8 Cotton Tree Drive, Central, Hong Kong|
|Public Service Commission|
The Public Service Commission (Chinese: 公務員敍用委員會) in Hong Kong is the principal statutory advisory body to the Hong Kong Chief Executive on civil service appointments, promotions and discipline. The Commission is tasked with ensuring fairness in hiring and disciplinary practices as outlined in the Public Service Commission Ordinance and Chapter 93 of the Laws of Hong Kong.
History and remit
The Commission chairman and (currently eight) members are appointed by the Chief Executive.
Over the years since it was set up, the scope of concern of the Commission has narrowed somewhat, as the number of civil servants, and hence cases has increased - from a permanent establishment of 18,500 posts at the outset to 160,000 posts today.
In 1971, disciplinary cases came under the Commission's remit.
The Secretariat of the Public Service Commission provides day-to-day operational support.
|Mr Thomas Megarry||Aug 1950 – Mar 1951||Inaugural.|
|Mr LO Man-kam||Mar-Apr 1951||* Acting Chairman|
|Mr John Robert Jones||Apr 1951 – June 1952||* Acting Chairman|
|Mr Justice Ernest Hillas Williams||June 1952 – May 1953|
|Mr Justice Trevor Jack Gould||May 1953 – Nov 1953|
|Mr John Robert Jones||Nov 1953 – Jan 1959||(also Acting Chairman Apr 1951 – June 1952)|
|Mr Richard Charles Lee||Jan 1959 – July 1959|
|Mr E R Childe JP||July 1959 – May 1965|||
|Mr M S Cumming OBE, JP||June 1965 – May 1967|
|Sir Charles Hartwell JP||May 1967 – Nov 1971|||
|Sir Ronald Holmes||Nov 1971 – May 1977|
|Sir Donald Luddington||May 1977 – Sept 1978|
|Mr Ian MacDonald LIGHTBODY CMG, JP||Sept 1978 – Oct 1980|
|Mr LI Fook-kow CMG, JP||Oct 1980 – May 1987|
|Mr Eric Peter HO JP||May 1987 – June 1991|
|Mr Augustine CHUI Kam JP||June 1991 – July 1996|
|Mr Haider Hatim Tyebjee BARMA, CBE, ISO, GBS JP||1 Aug 1996 – Apr 2005|||
|Mr Nicholas NG Wing-fui GBS JP||1 May 2005 – 30 April 2014|||
|Ms Rita Lau||1 May 2014 – present||(appointed to 30 April 2023)|
- Public Service Commission - Welcome message, official website
- Cheng, Joseph YS (1990). The Other Hong Kong Report 1990. Other Hong Kong report. Hong Kong: Chinese University Press. p. 24. ISBN 9622014941.
- Public Service Commission - Membership, official website
- 60th anniversary interview with Chairman Nicholas Ng Wing-fui, CSB, 2016
- PSC Annual Report 2010. Appendix III: List of Chairmen and Members of the Commission (1950 – 2010)
- Membership of Public Service Commission since establishment in 1950, Legco SC(2) Paper No. C54 (2008-09)
- Appointment of Sir Charles Hartwell as chairman, Legco: Official Report of Proceedings – 29-30 March 1967, p272 in speech by Colonial Secretary Michael Gass
- PSC Annual Report 2001, p25
- PSC Annual Report 2005, p55
- Re-appointment of Chairman of Public Service Commission, HK Govt press release, 15 April 2011
- Re-appointment of Chairman of Public Service Commission, HK Govt press release, 14 March 2017
- Re-appointment of Chairman of Public Service Commission, HK Govt press release, 7 April 2020