Policy Studies Organization is an academic organization whose purpose is to advance the study of policy analysis by publishing academic journals and book series, sponsoring conferences and producing programs.
In 1972, the Policy Studies Organization formed out of the American Political Science Association to focus on important public policy issues. Some of the goals of the PSO was to sponsor conferences, obtain discounts for subscriptions and books, and encourage panels conventions both regionally and nationally. The Policy Studies Journal was also established alongside the PSO to focus on policy matters like environmental protection, education, peace, and civil liberties.
The Policy Studies Organization sponsors conferences year round to promote multidisciplinary conversations of relevant policy issues. The goal of these events is to encourage NGOs, government officials, students, academics, and the general public to engage in dialogues about on-going policy concerns. These conferences are co-sponsored by the American Public University System. The following are conferences held by the PSO annually:
- PSW Lecture Series
- Middle East Dialogue
- World Conference on Fraternalism, Social Capital, and Civil Society
- International Criminology Conference
- Summit on Global Food Security and Health
- Asian Politics and Policy Conference
- Dupont Summit on Science, Technology, and Environmental Policy
A key component of the Policy Studies Organization is its publications. Through its journals, book series, and open access journals, the PSO aims to disseminate policy scholarship. Many of the journals are published through Wiley-Blackwell or through open access. The PSO also publishes antiquated and original books through its own Westphalia Press imprint; titles range on subjects like history, art, politics, and the government.
- Asian Politics & Policy
- Digest of Middle East Studies
- European Policy Analysis
- Latin American Policy
- Policy & Internet
- Policy Studies Journal
- Policy Studies Yearbook
- Politics & Policy
- Poverty & Public Policy
- Review of Policy Research
- Risk, Hazards & Crisis in Public Policy
- World Affairs
- World Medical & Health Policy
Open Access Journals
- Proceedings of the PSO
- Internet Learning
- Ritual, Secrecy, & Civil Society
- International Journal of Criminology
- World Food Policy
- Journal on Policy and Complex Systems
- New Water Policy and Practice
- Sexuality, Gender, and Policy
- Global Security and Intelligence Studies
- Arts & International Affairs
- Popular Culture Review
- China Policy Journal
- Indian Politics & Policy
- Open Educational Resources Journal
Presidents of the Policy Studies Organization
The current president of the PSO is Paul J. Rich. Past presidents include: James Anderson, Walter Beach, William Browne, William Crotty, Kenneth Dolbeare, Yehezkel Dror, William Dunn, Thomas Dye, Matthew Holden, Richard Hula, Helen Ingram, Dorothy James, Charles Jones, Rita Mae Kelly, Robert Lane, Martin Levin, Robert Lineberry, Theodore Lowi, Duncan Macrae, Jr., Dean Mann, Daniel Mazmanian, Guy Peters, Harrell Rogers, Thomas Vocino, Larry Wade, Carol Weiss, Louise White, Aaron Wildavsky.
- "About Us". Policy Studies Organization. Retrieved 11 July 2017.
- "Policy Studies Organization". www.apsanet.org. Retrieved 11 July 2017.
- "News and Notes". Administrative Science Quarterly. 17 (3): 410–415. 1972. JSTOR 2392155.
- "Back Matter". Policy Sciences. 6 (4): 480. 1975. JSTOR 4531621.
- "Back Matter". Policy Sciences. 9 (2): 258. 1978. JSTOR 4531729.
- "Policy Studies Journal". onlinelibrary.wiley.com. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- "Westphalia Press". Westphalia Press. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- "Policy Developments: Policy Studies Organization Proceedings". Policy Studies Journal. 35 (2): 323–328. 2007. doi:10.1111/j.1541-0072.2007.00222.x. ISSN 0190-292X.