|Platinum Jubilee of Elizabeth II|
|Genre||Jubilee of British monarch|
|Date(s)||6 February 2022|
|Previous event||Sapphire Jubilee of Elizabeth II|
The Platinum Jubilee of Elizabeth II is expected to be marked in 2022 in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth, being the 70th anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth II on 6 February 1952. In the United Kingdom, an extra bank holiday will be created and the traditional May bank holiday weekend will be moved to the start of June, to create a special four-day Jubilee weekend. The British government has promised a 'once-in-a-generation show' that will "mix the best of British ceremonial splendour and pageantry with cutting edge artistic and technological displays". If Queen Elizabeth remains on the throne until 6 February 2022, this will be the first time any British monarch has celebrated a platinum jubilee.
The Queen's birthday parade, also known as Trooping the Colour, which usually takes place on the second Saturday of June, will be held on 2 June 2022. Over 1,400 parading soldiers, 200 horses and 400 musicians are expected to come together in the traditional parade to mark the Queen's official birthday. The event will close with the Queen and Royal Family observing a Royal Air Force flypast from the balcony of Buckingham Palace.
The tradition of celebrating royal jubilees, weddings and coronations with the lighting of beacons, will continue for the Platinum Jubilee, and will take place on 2 June across the United Kingdom along with the Crown Dependencies and the British Overseas Territories. For the first time, beacons will be lit in every capital city of each Commonwealth country to mark 70 years of The Queen's reign.
The Queen will also attend the Derby at Epsom Downs accompanied by other members of the royal family on 4 June. In the evening, a concert named 'Platinum Party at the Palace' will take place at Buckingham Palace, featuring some of the biggest artists and entertainment stars. The BBC are set to produce and broadcast the concert and are expected like the Diamond Jubilee Concert to distribute it through the European Broadcasting Union. Members of the public will be invited to apply and attend the event.
On the last day of the extended bank holiday, people are encouraged to have a 'Big Jubilee Lunch', encouraging communities to celebrate their connections and get to know each other a little better. A pageant featuring about 5,000 people from across the UK and the Commonwealth will take place against the backdrop of Buckingham Palace combined with street arts, theatre, music, circus, carnival and costume celebrating the Queen's reign.
A Platinum Jubilee medal will be created to mark the Jubilee. It will be awarded to people who work in public service, including representatives of the Armed Forces, the emergency services and the prison services.
The Queen's Green Canopy
A campaign, known as 'The Queen's Green Canopy', was launched in May 2021, ahead of the Jubilee in 2022. People across the United Kingdom are expected to 'Plant a Tree for the Jubilee' to mark the milestone. To help the environment and make local areas greener, people will be urged to create this 'special gift' for the Queen, in her Platinum Jubilee year. In a statement, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Boris Johnson said, "As we celebrate Her Majesty's incredible 70 years of service, I encourage everyone to get behind this scheme, and go 'Plant a Tree for the Jubilee'."
- Silver Jubilee of Elizabeth II
- Ruby Jubilee of Elizabeth II
- Golden Jubilee of Elizabeth II
- Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II
- Sapphire Jubilee of Elizabeth II
- List of monarchs in Britain by length of reign
- List of Jubilees of British monarchs
- "Queen's platinum jubilee: Extra-long May bank holiday announced for Queen's 2022 platinum jubilee". Cambridge News. 12 November 2020. Retrieved 2 January 2021.
- "Platinum Jubilee: MPs and peers search for gift fit for the Queen". BBC News. 12 November 2020. Retrieved 16 November 2020.
- "Extra bank holiday to be created for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations in 2022". The Telegraph. 12 November 2020. Retrieved 19 November 2020.[dead link]
- Murphy, Simon (12 November 2020). "Extra bank holiday announced for Queen's 2022 platinum jubilee". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 November 2020.
- "Extra Bank Holiday to mark The Queen's Platinum Jubilee in 2022". GOV.UK. Retrieved 12 November 2020.
- Therrien, Alex; Turner, Lauren (2 June 2021). "Queen's Platinum Jubilee plans unveiled by Buckingham Palace". BBC. Retrieved 2 June 2021.
- Picheta, Rob; Foster, Max (2 June 2021). "A four-day weekend, a pageant and a concert announced for Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee". CNN. Retrieved 2 June 2021.
- "Plans announced for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee Central Weekend 2022". June 2021.
- "Old Severn Bridge: Queen's Jubilee request to go to Government". BBC. 10 December 2020. Retrieved 8 January 2021.
- Bagley, Alison (7 January 2021). "June date set for Corby Pole Fair as double celebration for Queen's Platinum Jubilee". Northamptonshire Telegraph. Retrieved 8 January 2021.
- Sanderson, David (12 June 2020). "Garden will send tourists to the Tower of London". The Times. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- Couzens, Jo (15 May 2021). "Campaign launched to mark Queen's Platinum Jubilee". BBC News. Retrieved 16 May 2021.
- "Queen's Platinum Jubilee: Public urged to plant a tree to help mark monarch's 70-year reign". ITV. 29 November 2020.
- "The Queen's Green Canopy". Cool Earth.