|Birth name||Peter John O'Mara|
|Born||9 December 1957|
|Origin||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, composer, teacher, writer|
O'Mara began his professional career in Australia between 1976–81. He was a Prizewinner for Jazz Composition 1980 & 1982, awarded by the NSW Jazz Action Society. His first album "Peter O´Mara" was released 1980, receiving widespread critical acclaim. He was awarded the "Don Banks Memorial Fellowship" for overseas study. 1981 he was studying in New York under Dave Liebman, John Scofield, Roland Hanna, Jimmy Raney and Attila Zoller.
His teaching activities include, among many workshops throughout Europe, a professorship for Jazz guitar at the Anton Bruckner Private University for Music, Drama, and Dance Austria, as well as the University of Music and Performing Arts Munich. He is also author of four highly acclaimed books published by internationally renowned Jazz publishers Advance Music.
In 2012 O'Mara issued a solo album, My Time, with studio musicians used Tim Collins on vibraphone, Matthias Gmelin on drums and Henning Sieverts on contrabass. Alan Bryson of All About Jazz found it provided "Tasteful restraint, a mellow after hours sound that represents an appealing alternative to smooth jazz. It's an album (four covers, six original titles) that works well as mood music, yet the interaction is energetic and intricate, and the solos are imaginative, melodic, and well conceived."
Musicians that O'Mara worked with
He has worked with many musicians on the European Jazz scene including: Kenny Wheeler, Jon Christensen, Joe Nay, Maria Joao, John Marshall, Patrick Scales, John Taylor, Randy Brecker, Charlie Mariano, Benny Bailey, Robben Ford, Mike Nock, Albert Mangelsdorff, Ack van Rooyen, Johnny Griffin, Willy Qua, Tony Lakatos, Tim Collins.
- A Rhythmic Concept for Funk/Fusion Guitar (Advance Music)
- A Modal Concept for Jazz Guitar (Advance Music)
- A Chordal Concept for Jazz Guitar (Advance Music) (1996)
- A Rhythmic Concept For Jazz Guitar (Advance Music) (2004)
- Selected discography
- Peter O'Mara (1980) Battyman (BAT 2074)
- Acentric featuring Michael Hornek, Patrick Scales & Christian Lettner Marangani 2009
- YuMag featuring Michael Hornek, Patrick Scales & Christian Lettner Marangani 2008
- Mirage featuring Adam Nussbaum Pirouet 2003
- With-Within-WithoutAcoustic Music 2001
- Back Seat Driver featuring Johannes Enders Enja 1999
- Too Early For This WorldGLM Edition Collage 1998
- Heritage featuring Guido May & Biboul Darouiche SBF 1997
- A-Strain featuring Adrian Mears, Patrick Scales & Falk Willis SBF 1996
- Symmetry featuring Bob Mintzer, Marc Johnson & Falk Willis GLM Edition Collage 1995
- Travellers featuring Tony Lakatos, Roberto di Gioia, Anthony Jackson, Ernst Stroeer & Wolfgang Haffner SBF 1994
- Stairway featuring Tony Lakatos, Russell Ferrante, Anthony Jackson, Tom Brechtlein & Alex Acuña Enja 1993
- Kuranda featuring Henning Sieverts, Tony Lush & Mike Nock ITM Pacific 1991
- Avenue U featuring Joe Lovano, Roberto Di Gioia, Dave Holland & Adam Nussbaum Enja 1990
- My Time (2012) Marangani Records
- Bryson, Alan; Bailey, C. Michael; Collette, Doug (5 November 2012). "Peter O'Mara: My Time". All About Jazz. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- O'Mara, Peter; Scales, Patrick (2004), A rhythmic concept for funk/fusion bass, Germany: Advance Music, retrieved 8 February 2017
- O'Mara, Peter (1996), A chordal concept for jazz guitar, Germany: Advance Music, retrieved 8 February 2017
- O'Mara, Peter (2004), A rhythmic concept for jazz guitar, Germany: Advance Music, retrieved 8 February 2017 Note: Booklet includes 2× CDs containing play along / MIDI files and listening versions. Text in English and German.
- O'Mara, Peter (1980), Peter O'Mara, Battjazz, retrieved 8 February 2017