Peter John Bickel
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley (PhD)|
|Awards||COPSS Presidents' Award (1981), MacArthur Fellow|
|Institutions||University of California, Berkeley|
|Thesis||Asymptotically Nonparametric Statistical Inference in the Multivariate Cases|
|Doctoral advisor||Erich Leo Lehmann|
|Other notable students|
Education and career
He married Nancy Kramer in 1964; they have two children.
- 1970 Guggenheim Fellow
- 1973 Fellow of the American Statistical Association
- 1981 the recipient of COPSS Presidents' Award
- 1984 MacArthur Fellows Program
- 1986 Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1986 Member of the National Academy of Sciences
- 1986 Honorary Doctorate degree from Hebrew University, Jerusalem
- 1995 Foreign member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2006 Commander of the Order of Orange-Nassau
- 2013 R. A. Fisher Lectureship
- 2014 Honorary Doctorate degree from ETH Zurich
- Reminiscences of a statistician: the company I kept, Erich Leo Lehmann, Springer, 2007, ISBN 978-0-387-71596-4
- Frontiers in statistics: dedicated to Peter John Bickel in honor of his 65th birthday, Jianqing Fan, Hira L. Koul, Imperial College Press, 2006, ISBN 978-1-86094-670-7, page 1
- Fan, Jianqing; Ritov, Ya'acov; Wu, C. F. Jeff, eds. (2012), "Ph.D. Students of Peter J. Bickel", Selected Works of Peter J. Bickel, Selected Works in Probability and Statistics, 13, Springer, pp. xxxi–xxxiii, ISBN 9781461455448
- Frontiers in statistics: dedicated to Peter John Bickel in honor of his 65th birthday, Jianqing Fan, Hira L. Koul, Imperial College Press, 2006, ISBN 978-1-86094-670-7, page xix
- View/Search Fellows of the ASA, accessed 2016-08-20.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-12. Retrieved 2011-05-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter B" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved June 25, 2011.
- http://www.nasonline.org, National Academy of Sciences -. "Peter Bickel". www.nasonline.org. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "P.J. Bickel". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "James Francis Hannan Visiting Scholars: Professor Peter J. Bickel". Department of Statistics and Probability, Michigan State University. 2012. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- "Fisher Lecture — Past Award Recipients" (PDF). Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-12. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-11-18. Retrieved 2014-12-04.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Ritov, Y. A. (2011). "A Random Walk with Drift: Interview with Peter J. Bickel". Statistical Science. 26: 150–159. arXiv:1106.2881. doi:10.1214/09-STS300. S2CID 62621269.
- Fan, Jianqing; Ritov, Ya'acov; Wu, Chien-Fu, eds. (2012). "Biography of Peter J. Bickel". Selected Works of Peter J. Bickel. Springer. ISBN 9781461455448.