Peter J. Cameron
|Born||23 January 1947 (age 74)|
|Alma mater||University of Queensland|
University of Oxford
|Awards||Whitehead Prize, 1979|
Euler Medal, 2003
Forder Lecturer, 2008
|Fields||algebra, group theory, combinatorics, coding theory, model theory|
|Institutions||University of St Andrews|
Queen Mary, University of London
University of Oxford
Bedford College, London
|Doctoral advisor||Peter M. Neumann|
|Other notable students||Benedict Gross|
Peter Jephson Cameron FRSE (born 23 January 1947) is an Australian mathematician who works in group theory, combinatorics, coding theory, and model theory. He is currently half-time Professor of Mathematics at the University of St Andrews, and Emeritus Professor at Queen Mary University of London.
Cameron received a B.Sc. from the University of Queensland and a D.Phil. in 1971 from the University of Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, with Peter M. Neumann as his supervisor. Subsequently, he was a Junior Research Fellow and later a Tutorial Fellow at Merton College, Oxford, and also lecturer at Bedford College, London.
Cameron specialises in algebra and combinatorics; he has written books about combinatorics, algebra, permutation groups, and logic, and has produced over 350 academic papers. In 1988, he posed the Cameron–Erdős conjecture with Paul Erdős.
Honours and awards
He was awarded the London Mathematical Society's Whitehead Prize in 1979 and is joint winner of the 2003 Euler Medal. In 2008, he was selected as the Forder Lecturer of the LMS and New Zealand Mathematical Society. In 2018 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
- with J. H. van Lint: Graph Theory, Coding Theory and Block Designs (1975)
- Parallelisms of Complete Designs (1976)
- Oligomorphic Permutation Groups (1990)
- with J. H. van Lint: Designs, Graphs, Codes and their Links (1991)
- Combinatorics: Topics, Techniques, Algorithms (1994)
- Sets, Logic and Categories (1999)
- Permutation Groups (1999)
- Introduction to Algebra (first edition) (1998)
- Introduction to Algebra (second edition) (2008)
- "Peter Cameron's students". Retrieved 16 June 2021.
- "Rhodes Scholar Database". Rhodes Trust. Retrieved 16 June 2021.
- "Peter Michael Neumann". Mathematics Genealogy Project. Retrieved 16 June 2021.
- "Peter Cameron's publications". Retrieved 16 June 2021.
- "LMS-NZMS Forder and Aitken Lectureships". London Mathematical Society. Retrieved 16 June 2021.
- "Professor Peter Jephson Cameron FRSE". Royal Society of Edinburgh. Retrieved 16 June 2021.
- Kantor, William M. (1978). "Review: Parallelisms of complete designs, by Peter J. Cameron". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 84 (3): 451–453. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1978-14489-9.
- Home page at Queen Mary University of London
- Home page at University of St Andrews
- Peter Cameron's 60th birthday conference
- Theorems by Peter Cameron at Theorem of the Day
- Peter Cameron's blog
- Peter Cameron at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter Cameron.|