|Period of Adjustment|
|Directed by||George Roy Hill|
|Written by||Tennessee Williams (play)|
|Screenplay by||Isobel Lennart|
|Based on||Period of Adjustment (play)|
|Produced by||Lawrence Weingarten|
|Edited by||Fredric Steinkamp|
|Music by||Lyn Murray|
|Box office||$4 million|
Period of Adjustment is a 1962 American comedy-drama film directed by George Roy Hill from a screenplay written by Isobel Lennart, based on Tennessee Williams' 1960 play of the same name and stars Anthony Franciosa, Jane Fonda, Jim Hutton, and Lois Nettleton. In the film; a newlywed couple on their honeymoon visit friends who are having marital problems of their own.
Period of Adjustment was theatrically released on October 31, 1962 by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. It received generally positive reviews from critics and was a moderate box office success grossing $4 million against a $1.9 million budget. The film marked Roy Hill's directorial debut and launched Fonda to bankable film stardom, also earning her a nomination for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Comedy or Musical.
On Christmas Eve, two married couples are both having a period of difficulty in their relationship. Newlyweds Isabel (Jane Fonda) and George Haverstick (Jim Hutton) (who had met when she was his hospital nurse), are having a problem because George has bouts of sexual performance anxiety and has quit his job without telling her. The second couple, Ralph (Anthony Franciosa) (a former Korean War buddy of George) and Dorothea Baitz (Lois Nettleton), have their problems based on the fact that he married her only for her money—and she knows it, and he dislikes her wealthy parents. The couples individually counsel each other about their insecurities, problems, and plans while drinking in the Tennessee home of one of them.
- Anthony Franciosa as Ralph Baitz (as Tony Franciosa)
- Jane Fonda as Isabel Haverstick
- Jim Hutton as George Haverstick
- Lois Nettleton as Dorothea Baitz
- John McGiver as Stewart P. McGill
- Mabel Albertson as Mrs. Alice McGill
- Jack Albertson as Desk Sergeant
According to MGM records, the film earned $2,750,000 in North America and $1.5 million overseas, making the studio a profit of $558,000.
Awards and nominations
|Academy Awards||Best Art Direction – Black-and-White||George Davis, Edward Carfagno, Henry Grace and Richard Pefferle||Nominated|
|Golden Globe Awards||Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy||Jane Fonda||Nominated|
|Laurel Awards||Top Female Comedy Performance||Nominated|
|Writers Guild of America Awards||Best Written American Comedy||Isobel Lennart||Nominated|
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- "Period of Adjustment (1962) - George Roy Hill - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "NY Times: Period of Adjustment". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. 2007. Archived from the original on December 2, 2007. Retrieved December 24, 2008.